Skip to main content

Denying Reality

I have to admit that life is pretty good when the biggest bummer of the night is that all the reality shows I watch are over. After Memorial Day weekend, and out-of-town company, I hadn't had a spare second to relfect on the fact that Survivor, American Idol, American Inventor, Amazing Race, etc...are all finished. Some finished the way I wanted and some didn't. Just to prove that I really need to get a hobby, I looked up in Wikipedia to identify a list of reality shows of which I have seen at least one episode. Mind you, there are only very few regulars, and I will star those that I intentionally watch so that you don't think I'm a complete moron with way too little to keep me busy. But here they are (drumroll....)


Airline
Amazing Race***
American Chopper
American Idol***
American Inventor***
America's Next Top Model
The Anna Nicole Show
The Apprentice***
Average Joe
The Bachelor (Used to be a ***, but they never stay together so I skipped the last series)
The Bachelorette
Big Brother
The Biggest Loser***
Blind Date
Boiling Points
Brat Camp
Candid Camera***
Celebrity Fit Club
Cheaters
Cops (Hero Guy still forces me to watch)***
Dog the Bounty Hunter***
Dog Eat Dog
Extreme Makeover
Extreme Makeover Home edition
Faking It
Family Plots
Fear Factor
For Love or Money
The Gastineau Girls
Girls Behaving Badly
Growing Up Gotti
Hogan Knows Best
How Clean is Your House*** (for strong stomachs only)
I Married a Princess
I'm a Celebrity, Get Me Out of Here
Intervention***
The Jamie Kennedy Experiement
Joe Millionaire
The Joe Schmo Show
Made
Making the Band
Meet the Barkers
Meet My Folks
Miami Ink
The Mole (MISS it)
Nanny 911
Nashville Star
Newlyweds
Laguna Beach
Punk'd
The Real World
Reno 911
Rescue 911
The Restaurant
Road Rules
The Salon
The Simple Life
Sorority Life
Spy TV
Star Search
Starting Over
Survivor***
The Swan
Supernanny
Temptation Island
Tommy Lee Goes to College
The Osbournes
Trading Spaces
Trading Spouses (a spouse-appreciation exercise)
True Life
What Not to Wear
Who Wants to Marry a Multi-Millionaire

There may be a few you've heard of that are not here. It is either because the list was so long that I missed one ( I only went down the list once) or that I've only seen part of an episode before I lost interest for some reason or another. Otherwise, I've heard of most of them, but haven't watched more than a channel-clicker's worth, so I won't count it.

One tidbit that I'm sure you'll want to know: Reality shows are classified as one of several categories - Documentary style (where it follows something happening to a group, like Airline on A&E), Hidden Camera (like Candid Camera), Reality Games/Talent Searches (like Survivor or American Idol), Spoofs (like the Joe Schmo show) or Parodies (like Reno 911).

After analyzing my results, I guess I'm more of a game show type girl. See what you're missing?!

Comments

Rochelle said…
I looked forlornly at the TV listings for last night myself!! I am into the NBA playoffs, especially since the Miami Heat are still in the game...so tonight's lineup is lookin' a little better.
Anonymous said…
I know it's a really sad thing that our shows are over this season.

Bob and I are now going to start getting into "So You Think You Can Dance". We really enjoyed that one last year.

- Debbie Stewart
Anonymous said…
So You Think You Can Dance, Hell's Kitchen and Rock Star: Supernova will all be on this summer.

But I'm kind of bummed that Survivor (Terry should have won), American Idol (cannot stand Taylor Hicks); and The Amazing Race (yay BJ and Tyler!) are over.

Here from Wendy's
How did you miss TOP CHEF! THAT was fabulous! Especially if you are really into beautifully presented food! I got hooked on it when I was lying in bed sick...and found it completely addictive!
I haven't seen many reality shows and that was the only one I was really "into" except for the last four episodes of American Idol...
JenLo said…
Ok, so I'll try 'Think you can dance', but as for the food shows, I only like to see the final product, and then I want to eat it, which puts me in a bad mood.
Maggie said…
My husband makes me watch Dog the Bounty Hunter occasionally. It's good for a laugh sometimes.
Anonymous said…
It's funny that we grew up in the same house b/c I really don't get into Reality shows. Now 24 and Lost...bring 'em on. Actually we watch those a season behind so that we can get the DVDs from Netflix and watch the whole season in a few weeks. abb
Anonymous said…
I think we were separated at birth...I'm completely hooked on anything reality and there are a few that weren't on your list that I watch...Project Runway with Heidi Klum and sadly...Flavor of Love...did I just admit that in public? :)-Jenn Jones
Anonymous said…
I forgot, Hell's Kitchen, we really get into that one too. We will be tuned to that very soon as well.

We've also watched many, many, many of the shows you've listed.

- Debbie Stewart

Popular posts from this blog

Little Chic's New Do

I have been bugging Little Chic to cut her waist-length hair for a long time. She did take about 4 inches off it about two months ago, and ever since, has been toying with the idea of something drastic and cool. Today was the day! I love it, but it's a little sad too--seeing how it makes her look all mature and teenager-ish.

Stickin' It Out

I got married today. Well, not exactly today. It was Friday, June 2. But the year was 1989 - 17 years ago. "Amazing", people say. "Good for you", they comment. "You must have picked the right one", the add. Amazing? Yes. Good for me? I'll admit it. But it has nothing to do with picking the right one, really. It's not because I found the perfect boy, and it's certainly not because he found the perfect girl. It might sound a little unromantic, but there never really is a 'right one' floating around out there waiting in the cosmos for the other 'right one' to crash and connect. There may be 'better ones'; there may be 'more easily compatible' or something or other. But the real story is you start becoming the right one the moment you vow that "you do". When I married, I had been 20 for a whole 33 days, we had just completed a 2-year long-distance realtionship and HE was five years older tha

"Huncle" Dave

This guy's my uncle. He's 8 years older than me. With my dad being the oldest of 10 kids, my grandma still had kids at home by the time my dad was getting started with life. This guy was my hero when I was growing up--sort of the big brother role, but with a little more novelty than a constant bully and boss hanging around. He certainly did his share of bossing and bullying, but I took it all in stride since I thought he was an incredibly big deal. Since he was the youngest of 10 kids, but older than all the grandkids, he took full advantage and made the best of his position in life. One aspect of him being more 'mature and world-wise' was that he required treatment of proper respect and authority. Thus, I, and my cousins, were expected to boost his ego by calling him by his rightful name "Huncle". This classy moniker had the unique combination of the relationship (uncle) and his self-proclamation of him being a teenage 'hunk'. Since growing up,