Skip to main content

Decades


It's hard to believe, but it's true. I'm the mom to a kid who has been alive a decade. My recent birthday didn't make me feel as old as his 10th does! This little guy was a life-changing blessing to me. I married thinking I didn't ever want kids. Luckily, God knew I did and gave them to me anyway once He knew I was ready. Being a mom to he and his sister revealed the authentic me. I'll never be the same.

Here are the top 10 things I love about my kid:

1) He plays army out in the front yard with no self-consciousness of the car passengers thinking he's a nut.
2) He loves to read even more than I do - anything from history books to comic books.
3) He is truly the most spiritually astute child I've ever met. His quirk is that he prays before he eats his bowl of cereal in the morning. Both of them. And then again for his milk.
4) Nothing makes him more upset than when somebody is mean to one of his friends. He's out for justice when that happens.
5) It makes him really happy when people laugh at one of his jokes. When they don't laugh, he asks me whether I think he's funny or not.
6) He hears a big word that he doesn't know, learns the meaning and then uses it the first chance he can fit it in to conversation.
7) He's still not embarrassed to hug and kiss me in front of his friends and he loves me to visit him for lunch at school.
8) He never lies. Ever. About anything.
9) I'm one of his 2 favorite people in the world. His dad is the other.
10) He's still the perfect mix between little boy and big kid.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Happy Birthday to you Eric! Tell your parents what you want more than anything for your birthday is to come to Florida so you can visit all your cool relatives! :-)
Anonymous said…
Happy B-Day to Eric. I learned something else new about you. Didn't realize you didn't really have the desire to have children. How cool that God blessed you with two wonderful loving children in His time. I loved your top 10 for Eric.

- Debbie Stewart

Popular posts from this blog

Little Chic's New Do

I have been bugging Little Chic to cut her waist-length hair for a long time. She did take about 4 inches off it about two months ago, and ever since, has been toying with the idea of something drastic and cool. Today was the day! I love it, but it's a little sad too--seeing how it makes her look all mature and teenager-ish.

"Huncle" Dave

This guy's my uncle. He's 8 years older than me. With my dad being the oldest of 10 kids, my grandma still had kids at home by the time my dad was getting started with life. This guy was my hero when I was growing up--sort of the big brother role, but with a little more novelty than a constant bully and boss hanging around. He certainly did his share of bossing and bullying, but I took it all in stride since I thought he was an incredibly big deal. Since he was the youngest of 10 kids, but older than all the grandkids, he took full advantage and made the best of his position in life. One aspect of him being more 'mature and world-wise' was that he required treatment of proper respect and authority. Thus, I, and my cousins, were expected to boost his ego by calling him by his rightful name "Huncle". This classy moniker had the unique combination of the relationship (uncle) and his self-proclamation of him being a teenage 'hunk'. Since growing up,

Stickin' It Out

I got married today. Well, not exactly today. It was Friday, June 2. But the year was 1989 - 17 years ago. "Amazing", people say. "Good for you", they comment. "You must have picked the right one", the add. Amazing? Yes. Good for me? I'll admit it. But it has nothing to do with picking the right one, really. It's not because I found the perfect boy, and it's certainly not because he found the perfect girl. It might sound a little unromantic, but there never really is a 'right one' floating around out there waiting in the cosmos for the other 'right one' to crash and connect. There may be 'better ones'; there may be 'more easily compatible' or something or other. But the real story is you start becoming the right one the moment you vow that "you do". When I married, I had been 20 for a whole 33 days, we had just completed a 2-year long-distance realtionship and HE was five years older tha