Skip to main content

Rainy Days and Holidays

With the kids off for the Easter holiday, I resisted the urge to pack in activities to keep everybody busy each day. Although I like to start my morning off relaxed, usually by 11am I am going stir-crazy as is Caroline. Eric on the other hand, craves days and days in a row of staying around the house, doing whatever he chooses. He would gladly stay in our house and yard, not venturing out anywhere the entire 6 days off school. Caroline and I are more alike, going a little nuts with all the free time and nothing planned. Sometimes conflicts arise with me trying to keep Caroline busy while not dragging poor Eric to and 'fro. This Easter break, I am trying to find a little balance and pleasure for us all.

Thursday, the first day off, we did our favorite thing-staying in our jammies, reading, playing (me watching Dr. Phil) until about 10am when I told everybody to at least get breakfast, brushed teeth and dressed. We hung around the house until 2pm when I dropped Caroline off at a Girl Scout activity and Eric picked up a friend to play with for a few hours. So Caroline got her time out of the house and Eric got to stay home, other than a quick trip out to drop off and deliver kids. I did my best to stick to my weekday routine of getting some housework and transcription done, with the only missing element being my workout routine that is too difficult to fit in with extra little people around. I'm thinking the rest of the holiday might follow the same pattern with perhaps another day at home today, but then Monday trying to fit in a movie or playtime with some buddies for the kids. The weather turned a bit rainy so the inside activities will fit with the atmosphere outside just fine.

It's kind of nice to have a few days with nothing planned other than the activites surrounding Good Friday and Resurrection Sunday. I've taken the opportunity to have the kids focus on why we have these days off, and I've been able to institute some extra quiet time for them to read their Bibles and talk to God. Since it is the time of the resurrection, when we watched Survivor last night, I was thinking about how to relate the game of Survivor to my kids as a real-life example of our survival through Jesus Christ. I want to help them understand that we are survivors too, but not because of our courage or strength or bravery like the contestants in the game. Our survival is the the result of Jesus loving us enough to take the blame and punishment for all their "badness" and offering them life in return. That's the only deal of "getting something for nothing" that you ever really find in life. If my kids accept this as the Truth for their lives, I'll have fulfilled my life's mission as a mom.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I love the way you are down to earth with Eric and Caroline. The way you explain things to them on their level is really cool.

Speaking of Survivor... I'm so happy Terry wone the idol again.

- Debbie Stewart

Popular posts from this blog

Little Chic's New Do

I have been bugging Little Chic to cut her waist-length hair for a long time. She did take about 4 inches off it about two months ago, and ever since, has been toying with the idea of something drastic and cool. Today was the day! I love it, but it's a little sad too--seeing how it makes her look all mature and teenager-ish.

Stickin' It Out

I got married today. Well, not exactly today. It was Friday, June 2. But the year was 1989 - 17 years ago. "Amazing", people say. "Good for you", they comment. "You must have picked the right one", the add. Amazing? Yes. Good for me? I'll admit it. But it has nothing to do with picking the right one, really. It's not because I found the perfect boy, and it's certainly not because he found the perfect girl. It might sound a little unromantic, but there never really is a 'right one' floating around out there waiting in the cosmos for the other 'right one' to crash and connect. There may be 'better ones'; there may be 'more easily compatible' or something or other. But the real story is you start becoming the right one the moment you vow that "you do". When I married, I had been 20 for a whole 33 days, we had just completed a 2-year long-distance realtionship and HE was five years older tha

"Huncle" Dave

This guy's my uncle. He's 8 years older than me. With my dad being the oldest of 10 kids, my grandma still had kids at home by the time my dad was getting started with life. This guy was my hero when I was growing up--sort of the big brother role, but with a little more novelty than a constant bully and boss hanging around. He certainly did his share of bossing and bullying, but I took it all in stride since I thought he was an incredibly big deal. Since he was the youngest of 10 kids, but older than all the grandkids, he took full advantage and made the best of his position in life. One aspect of him being more 'mature and world-wise' was that he required treatment of proper respect and authority. Thus, I, and my cousins, were expected to boost his ego by calling him by his rightful name "Huncle". This classy moniker had the unique combination of the relationship (uncle) and his self-proclamation of him being a teenage 'hunk'. Since growing up,