Skip to main content

MIMIC

I found out yesterday that this acronym stands for "Moods in Mothers and in Children. Eric and I participated in a research project being done by the Binghamton University Mood Disorders Institute. They are conducting this research to better understand the relationship between mothers and their childrens' moods. Specifically, they are interested in how negative moods in either person can affect the other. The main hypothesis is that when either a mother or her child is feeling depressed, the other person will start to feel depressed as well. The study took 3.5 hours with each of us being interviewed, answering a 45-minute questionaire, taking a computer test and having a DNA sample taken. I have always been exceedingly interested in psychology and how the mind and emotions work in developing us as people, and I even thought at one point in my life that I might perhaps be a counselor of some sort.

Without presenting the boring details of the project, I was amused at 2 things I encountered. One, was on the questionaire I filled out. I presume they were attempting to get a clear picture of my self-image as there were lots of questions relating to how I felt about myself. One particular area though, was pretty funny:

Weight/body shape - (these are reiterations of the actual questions--must have been 20 or so)
1) Have you ever attempted to purposely alter your weight or body shape? Yes.
2) Have you ever changed your eating habits in an effort to change your weight or body shape? Okay, yesss.
3) Have you ever omitted a certain type of food from your diet in an effort to change your weight or body shape? Yeeeesss (are ya serious?)
4) Have you ever purposely refrained from eating in an attempt to change your weight or body shape? Well, yes. But really, if I had been sucessful at that for too long, I wouldn't be needing to change my weight or body shape, now would I?
5) Have you ever refrained from eating when you were hungry in order to change your weight or body shape? All right, now really, I have tried, but truthfully, if I could say I accomplished this, I really wouldn't need to keep answering yes.
6) Have you ever excercised in an attempt to alter your weight or body shape? O good grief, now come on! Of course I have!
7) Have you ever combined diet and exercise in an attempt to alter your weight or body shape? Yup, me & every other woman in America.

and on and on it went!

Now, the amusing thing about Eric was revealed on our way home.

Eric says: "Mom, you know how you say that when being truthful, there aren't any loopholes, you just have to be totally honest?"
I say (suspiciously I might add): "Yes?"
Eric says: "Well, today I found a loophole."
I say: "And what was that loophole?"
Eric says: "The lady asked me if I have to have a stuffed animal to go to sleep. I didn't want to get embarrassed that I sleep with Snowy and Soot." (stuffed beanie babies)
I say: "The loophole was...."
Eric says: "The loophole is that I don't have to have Snowy and Soot to fall asleep. I just really like to sleep with them and I worry about them when there aren't with me."
I say: "Don't you think that kind of ruins the accuracy of the information for their research project?"
Eric says: "Uh-oh. Do you think they'll notice that their information is goofed up?"

Comments

Anonymous said…
Are those the actual answers you put down too? That is really funny what Eric said. Michael has literally just two pieces of what is left of a blanket that he sleeps with, Kaitlyn has two blankets still in pretty good shape that aren't that big. Ethan likes a pillowcase!?! and so far, I don't know what Devin will use. My kids come by it honestly, I have a huge body pillow that I wrap myself around and unless we are flying it will go wherever we do to sleep, and I have no embarrassment piling it on top of the luggage on the luggage cart in a hotel, even when we are using a bellboy! I'd take it on a plane too but I don't think they would let me. :-)
Anonymous said…
I literally had to "Hee Haw" thru the entire post. That was way too funny and by the time you got to Eric... That was icing on the cake! Way to funny! My answers were ALL yes too. But you answers were hysterical!

I have Bobby to snuggle with vice versa on and off thru the night. We like to be quite close while we sleep.


- Debbie

Popular posts from this blog

Little Chic's New Do

I have been bugging Little Chic to cut her waist-length hair for a long time. She did take about 4 inches off it about two months ago, and ever since, has been toying with the idea of something drastic and cool. Today was the day! I love it, but it's a little sad too--seeing how it makes her look all mature and teenager-ish.

Stickin' It Out

I got married today. Well, not exactly today. It was Friday, June 2. But the year was 1989 - 17 years ago. "Amazing", people say. "Good for you", they comment. "You must have picked the right one", the add. Amazing? Yes. Good for me? I'll admit it. But it has nothing to do with picking the right one, really. It's not because I found the perfect boy, and it's certainly not because he found the perfect girl. It might sound a little unromantic, but there never really is a 'right one' floating around out there waiting in the cosmos for the other 'right one' to crash and connect. There may be 'better ones'; there may be 'more easily compatible' or something or other. But the real story is you start becoming the right one the moment you vow that "you do". When I married, I had been 20 for a whole 33 days, we had just completed a 2-year long-distance realtionship and HE was five years older tha

"Huncle" Dave

This guy's my uncle. He's 8 years older than me. With my dad being the oldest of 10 kids, my grandma still had kids at home by the time my dad was getting started with life. This guy was my hero when I was growing up--sort of the big brother role, but with a little more novelty than a constant bully and boss hanging around. He certainly did his share of bossing and bullying, but I took it all in stride since I thought he was an incredibly big deal. Since he was the youngest of 10 kids, but older than all the grandkids, he took full advantage and made the best of his position in life. One aspect of him being more 'mature and world-wise' was that he required treatment of proper respect and authority. Thus, I, and my cousins, were expected to boost his ego by calling him by his rightful name "Huncle". This classy moniker had the unique combination of the relationship (uncle) and his self-proclamation of him being a teenage 'hunk'. Since growing up,