Skip to main content

Little Groupies

Saturday, April 29 was one of the more unusual birthdays I've had. Because John is going to be missing Eric's 10th birthday on Tuesday, we decided dad would take son out for a special day of birthday fun rather than us all spending the day together. They started with going out to breakfast, followed by a few hours of fishing, finalized with fighting a real-live brush fire together with the fire department. In between all the activity, he and Eric put some finishing touches on the famous castle that is due on Tuesday. In an attempt to make the castle 'authentic', the boys decided to spray-paint the sugar cubes a light gray to make them look more like concrete. My assessment is that it would have been better to leave them white, since Neuschwanstein looks like a white castle to me--but I am all for letting the people who do the work make the decisions, so 'mum' is the word.

Meanwhile Little Chic and I went to a Narnia musical based on the story The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe put on by our local Christian radio network. The show was 1-1/2 hours drive, so we invited some friends to go along and had a great time. It was quite the thrill for Caroline to see some kids around her age put on a great production. She had originally wanted to audition for the show, but being the stage mom that I am NOT, the drive was a bit unreasonable for our family. She was happy with seeing the show from the audience and afterward, she was really excited to be able to meet the cast, get a few autographs and have some pics snapped with her two favorite characters, the White Witch and Aslan. The only issue I had with the production is that Aslan looked eerily similar to the Cowardly Lion in the Wizard of Oz.

After we returned home in the evening, we let Eric open a couple of presents from John, I opened my gifts from John and the kids and finished the night off with an ice cream cake for me.
It gets a little crazy trying to pack a week's worth of activity into a day, but we all had a lot of fun and we'll celebrate properly when John gets home.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Cute pic! That does look the the Cowardly Lion from the Wizard of OZ, LOL!
Sounds like you had a great birthday with Caroline and Eric spent a great father/son day together, so it worked out! AND to end the day with ice cream cake sounds like a great birthday to me!
~Sue
Anonymous said…
Sounds like all of you had a great time. It's nice you met in the middle at the end of the day to open gifts and enjoy a nice ice cream cake, very nice.

- Debbie Stewart
Anonymous said…
Happy birthday Jen, to you and Eric. Glad you both got to enjoy your day.

-Charlene
Anonymous said…
Happy birthday!! I didn't realize it was just your birthday. I love your picture. Made me laugh again to see *Aslan*. But over all I think it was a good musical - we enjoyed the evening performance.

Popular posts from this blog

Little Chic's New Do

I have been bugging Little Chic to cut her waist-length hair for a long time. She did take about 4 inches off it about two months ago, and ever since, has been toying with the idea of something drastic and cool. Today was the day! I love it, but it's a little sad too--seeing how it makes her look all mature and teenager-ish.

Stickin' It Out

I got married today. Well, not exactly today. It was Friday, June 2. But the year was 1989 - 17 years ago. "Amazing", people say. "Good for you", they comment. "You must have picked the right one", the add. Amazing? Yes. Good for me? I'll admit it. But it has nothing to do with picking the right one, really. It's not because I found the perfect boy, and it's certainly not because he found the perfect girl. It might sound a little unromantic, but there never really is a 'right one' floating around out there waiting in the cosmos for the other 'right one' to crash and connect. There may be 'better ones'; there may be 'more easily compatible' or something or other. But the real story is you start becoming the right one the moment you vow that "you do". When I married, I had been 20 for a whole 33 days, we had just completed a 2-year long-distance realtionship and HE was five years older tha

"Huncle" Dave

This guy's my uncle. He's 8 years older than me. With my dad being the oldest of 10 kids, my grandma still had kids at home by the time my dad was getting started with life. This guy was my hero when I was growing up--sort of the big brother role, but with a little more novelty than a constant bully and boss hanging around. He certainly did his share of bossing and bullying, but I took it all in stride since I thought he was an incredibly big deal. Since he was the youngest of 10 kids, but older than all the grandkids, he took full advantage and made the best of his position in life. One aspect of him being more 'mature and world-wise' was that he required treatment of proper respect and authority. Thus, I, and my cousins, were expected to boost his ego by calling him by his rightful name "Huncle". This classy moniker had the unique combination of the relationship (uncle) and his self-proclamation of him being a teenage 'hunk'. Since growing up,