Skip to main content

Who are all these kids, and why are they following me?

This was the question I asked myself as I drove away from church Sunday morning with a van full of four little girls. When I arrived at church, I had a 9-year-old boy and an 8-year old girl, both mine. Somehow I got suckered in to being the nice mommy and letting my daughter invite three girls home for the afternoon. The exchange was that I sent my son home to another friend's house. I realized quickly that my Berkshire friend, who took my son and hers got the better end of the bargain!

The afternoon was spent watching all the giggling, dancing, gymnastics, changing clothes and other previews from tween-dom that will be coming before long. John earned Brownie points by freezing his butt off taking them each for a spin on the ATV in the 20-degree weather. The girls didn't come in afterward either. They spent about an hour jumping on our trampoline in full winter regalia-snowpants, boots, hats, mittens and coats.

I unloaded 2 of the girls around 4pm and took mine and another one back to church for the kids Praise & Talent night. Caroline was able to wow the audience with her rendition of "Amazing Grace" set to country-style music. She might be heading to Nashville rather than Hollywood if she sticks to her current life's goal.

Today, I'm putting the finishing touches on my Valentine's plans and I even picked up 2 heart-shaped boxes of chocolates for the kids. They just don't buy the story that Valentine's is only for sweethearts. They think they've gotten ripped off if there isn't some little token on the breakfast counter when they wake up. They won't be disappointed though--even Grammy left them each a little treat for the day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Little Chic's New Do

I have been bugging Little Chic to cut her waist-length hair for a long time. She did take about 4 inches off it about two months ago, and ever since, has been toying with the idea of something drastic and cool. Today was the day! I love it, but it's a little sad too--seeing how it makes her look all mature and teenager-ish.

Stickin' It Out

I got married today. Well, not exactly today. It was Friday, June 2. But the year was 1989 - 17 years ago. "Amazing", people say. "Good for you", they comment. "You must have picked the right one", the add. Amazing? Yes. Good for me? I'll admit it. But it has nothing to do with picking the right one, really. It's not because I found the perfect boy, and it's certainly not because he found the perfect girl. It might sound a little unromantic, but there never really is a 'right one' floating around out there waiting in the cosmos for the other 'right one' to crash and connect. There may be 'better ones'; there may be 'more easily compatible' or something or other. But the real story is you start becoming the right one the moment you vow that "you do". When I married, I had been 20 for a whole 33 days, we had just completed a 2-year long-distance realtionship and HE was five years older tha

"Huncle" Dave

This guy's my uncle. He's 8 years older than me. With my dad being the oldest of 10 kids, my grandma still had kids at home by the time my dad was getting started with life. This guy was my hero when I was growing up--sort of the big brother role, but with a little more novelty than a constant bully and boss hanging around. He certainly did his share of bossing and bullying, but I took it all in stride since I thought he was an incredibly big deal. Since he was the youngest of 10 kids, but older than all the grandkids, he took full advantage and made the best of his position in life. One aspect of him being more 'mature and world-wise' was that he required treatment of proper respect and authority. Thus, I, and my cousins, were expected to boost his ego by calling him by his rightful name "Huncle". This classy moniker had the unique combination of the relationship (uncle) and his self-proclamation of him being a teenage 'hunk'. Since growing up,