Skip to main content

Plans, Interrupted

Our plans for the trip to Washington DC included departing Monday at noon, arriving in DC at dinner, and coming back at noon on Thursday, arriving home by dinner. Everything went pretty much as scheduled. Although we arrived in DC a little after dinnertime on Monday, we made up for it by staying up until midnight, everyone included (even the kiddos). They had a grand old time with their cousins Chandler (almost 6) and Gabrielle (soon to be 4) and Cameron (almost 1). We took the opportunity while there, to celebrate the birthdays of the cousins which will be coming up in March. We also took a few hours to spend downtown seeing the Air & Space museum and the Natural History museum. The highlight was definitely the Metro rides, though.

Caroline had the best situation as she is 8 and loved playing with either Chandler or Gabrielle. At times, Eric felt he was a little mature to play with a 3-year-old female. So Caroline made the best of it and toggled between whichever cousin offered the most entertainment at the moment. Thus, on Wednesday afternoon, Caroline informed me that leaving on Thursday would not accommodate the extensive agenda she and Chandler had prepared for the rest of their visit. She said that their agenda included activities that would last until bedtime on Thursday night, so we would just have to postpone our return home until Friday. Their activity plan, written in scrawled handwriting on notebook paper, looked like this (the notes are mine):

1) Breckfast, 5-10 min.
2) Dresed and more, 20 min - 30 min.
3) Scoters, 30 min. (scooters)
4) Outside, 2 hours
5) Dr., 30 min. (Chandler has an impressive doctor kit)
6) Uno, 20 min. (the cousins' new favorite game)
7) Snack, 5-10 min.
8) TV, 5-10 min.
9) Dr., 3 min. (possibly meaning 30?--3 minutes would be a quick surgery)
10) Uno, 20 min.
11) Snack, 5-10 min.
12) Jale, 1-5 min. (I'm assuming jail)
13) TV, 30 min.
14) Rest, 30 min. (whew, all this playing is exhausting)
15) Dinner, 60 min.
16) Free time, till bed

This girl is really after my heart. We love lists, schedules and agendas. I had to suggest that the activities be condensed into a few shorter hours, because the train was leaving at noon on Thursday, regardless of how much was crossed off the to-do list. We pulled out at 11:45 and stopped at Starbucks for good measure and we were on our way. We pulled in safe & sound Thursday just before dark. Great trip. Great to be back home.

Comments

Rochelle said…
I guess Starbucks was on YOUR list huh? Ha! Glad you're home safe & sound.......
Anonymous said…
That is hilarious! I hope you kept that one for her scrapbook or memory book someday - she is too funny. Now all she needs is Blackberry and she's all set for the corporate world.
Anonymous said…
I can't believe how little Miss Caroline blows me away! You have trained her well! Reading her list tickled me and she even had time for a 30 min. rest! What a HOOT!
- Debbie Stewart

Popular posts from this blog

Little Chic's New Do

I have been bugging Little Chic to cut her waist-length hair for a long time. She did take about 4 inches off it about two months ago, and ever since, has been toying with the idea of something drastic and cool. Today was the day! I love it, but it's a little sad too--seeing how it makes her look all mature and teenager-ish.

"Huncle" Dave

This guy's my uncle. He's 8 years older than me. With my dad being the oldest of 10 kids, my grandma still had kids at home by the time my dad was getting started with life. This guy was my hero when I was growing up--sort of the big brother role, but with a little more novelty than a constant bully and boss hanging around. He certainly did his share of bossing and bullying, but I took it all in stride since I thought he was an incredibly big deal. Since he was the youngest of 10 kids, but older than all the grandkids, he took full advantage and made the best of his position in life. One aspect of him being more 'mature and world-wise' was that he required treatment of proper respect and authority. Thus, I, and my cousins, were expected to boost his ego by calling him by his rightful name "Huncle". This classy moniker had the unique combination of the relationship (uncle) and his self-proclamation of him being a teenage 'hunk'. Since growing up,

Stickin' It Out

I got married today. Well, not exactly today. It was Friday, June 2. But the year was 1989 - 17 years ago. "Amazing", people say. "Good for you", they comment. "You must have picked the right one", the add. Amazing? Yes. Good for me? I'll admit it. But it has nothing to do with picking the right one, really. It's not because I found the perfect boy, and it's certainly not because he found the perfect girl. It might sound a little unromantic, but there never really is a 'right one' floating around out there waiting in the cosmos for the other 'right one' to crash and connect. There may be 'better ones'; there may be 'more easily compatible' or something or other. But the real story is you start becoming the right one the moment you vow that "you do". When I married, I had been 20 for a whole 33 days, we had just completed a 2-year long-distance realtionship and HE was five years older tha