Skip to main content

John, the gourmet chef

Our typical Sunday morning involves us scurrying out the door at 9:30 with John heading to teach the 2nd and 3rd grade Sunday School class with another teacher, our kids going to their class and me to mine. This morning was different since John was out of town for the weekend and arrived home late, so he arranged for the other teacher to handle class alone. I left him sleeping in bed where he remained until 11:30 this morning.

When we arrived home at 12:30, I vocalized my confidence in him saying that I was sure he would have some superb lunch ready for us since he had been home alone all morning. He assured me this was true--our gourmet selections were 1) Cereal brushed with a delicate glaze of sugar topped with creamy, ice-cold milk or 2) Leftover corkscrew pasta with alfredo sauce that I made on Thursday or 3) Leftover General Tso's chicken take-out that Eric and I shared Friday night. John seemed quite pleased with his skills at offering us choice of delicious, nutritious meals after our hectic morning!

On his behalf, he did have a load of laundry going, and he pledged to help tidy up the house and maybe even vaccum this afternoon so the house is in good order when I take the kids to DC for three days this week (they have winter break all this week). However, I am curious to see how this is going to fit in between the cool episode of Dallas SWAT that is on right now and the Indy 500 that will be starting soon and the wrestling matches that are occuring with the kids during every commercial.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Wow! I'm sure the kids are looking forward to their trip to DC... and mom too. I'm sure you guys will have a jam-up time of it while there.

We have the Daytona 500 on too. I'm getting ready to join Bobby again as we are big Tony Stewart fans. Our Nephew's (Dan West's sons) Brenton and Bryant are absolutely no question "JEFF GORDON" fans.

- Debbie Stewart
Anonymous said…
Who, or what, is in DC? Thanks for the info on the book, I'll be sure and find it, sounds like a good read! Have a fun trip.

Popular posts from this blog

Little Chic's New Do

I have been bugging Little Chic to cut her waist-length hair for a long time. She did take about 4 inches off it about two months ago, and ever since, has been toying with the idea of something drastic and cool. Today was the day! I love it, but it's a little sad too--seeing how it makes her look all mature and teenager-ish.

"Huncle" Dave

This guy's my uncle. He's 8 years older than me. With my dad being the oldest of 10 kids, my grandma still had kids at home by the time my dad was getting started with life. This guy was my hero when I was growing up--sort of the big brother role, but with a little more novelty than a constant bully and boss hanging around. He certainly did his share of bossing and bullying, but I took it all in stride since I thought he was an incredibly big deal. Since he was the youngest of 10 kids, but older than all the grandkids, he took full advantage and made the best of his position in life. One aspect of him being more 'mature and world-wise' was that he required treatment of proper respect and authority. Thus, I, and my cousins, were expected to boost his ego by calling him by his rightful name "Huncle". This classy moniker had the unique combination of the relationship (uncle) and his self-proclamation of him being a teenage 'hunk'. Since growing up,

Stickin' It Out

I got married today. Well, not exactly today. It was Friday, June 2. But the year was 1989 - 17 years ago. "Amazing", people say. "Good for you", they comment. "You must have picked the right one", the add. Amazing? Yes. Good for me? I'll admit it. But it has nothing to do with picking the right one, really. It's not because I found the perfect boy, and it's certainly not because he found the perfect girl. It might sound a little unromantic, but there never really is a 'right one' floating around out there waiting in the cosmos for the other 'right one' to crash and connect. There may be 'better ones'; there may be 'more easily compatible' or something or other. But the real story is you start becoming the right one the moment you vow that "you do". When I married, I had been 20 for a whole 33 days, we had just completed a 2-year long-distance realtionship and HE was five years older tha