Skip to main content

Profile of a GENIUS

This is Eric. He is 9. He's my son and I think he's smart. He thinks he's a genius. I didn't know he thought this until Thanksgiving time when my nephew, Chandler, asked his dad (my brother) if it was true that Eric was a genius. I've always known Eric took pride in his brains. The biggest complement you can give him is to call him "a nerd". He thinks it is funny. Partly because he is nine, and partly because it's true. Last year, in 3rd grade, he came home and announced that he was president of the Dork Club. He belly-laughed as he explained that the only kids he would allow in were his friends that would agree to be dorks. He is an above-average student and has a talent for learning quickly, but I suspect he's pretty normal.

Since he proclaimed himself a genius, John and I have had to give him a few lessons on humility (this is a little difficult for John, being that Eric's confidence level is genetically linked to John's). I had to explain that there is no "monopoly on smart" and that he is not the only intelligent family member under our roof. He was a bit insulted when I suggested that he is not necessarily the smartest of our foursome. He said he'd be willing to take an IQ test. I'm hoping the confidence thing pulls him through the awkward social stages he is heading toward!

Some other facts about my little guy--
He's one of the most spiritually sensitive kids I've met. He has a very tender conscience and I've never met a more honest person. It makes us feel the pressure of responsibility to help him nurture a close relationship with Jesus.

He loves everything to do with army guys. He loves reading books about the civil war and he runs through our yard for hours with his wooden rifle ordering his "men" around. The cars passing probably think he is a little lunatic. We think it is hilarious.

He has every Dilbert cartoon book as well as Calvin and Hobbes. He will read and re-read them, laughing his head off each time. He loves running to John and reading the funniest strip he can find. John laughs like crazy right along with him--I'm not good enough at pretending to be amused over and over by the same thing and John doesn't have to pretend.

I'm betting on a career choice of either a rocket scientist or a preacher. That's my boy.

Comments

Rochelle said…
Maybe the sensitive conscience will help to balance it all out! He sounds like a sweet, sensitive boy.
Anonymous said…
I have to disagree with you, I happen to think Eric is extra smart and not just normal smart, he's a pretty unusual young man - at least for as long as I have known him. Great blog!

Popular posts from this blog

Little Chic's New Do

I have been bugging Little Chic to cut her waist-length hair for a long time. She did take about 4 inches off it about two months ago, and ever since, has been toying with the idea of something drastic and cool. Today was the day! I love it, but it's a little sad too--seeing how it makes her look all mature and teenager-ish.

Stickin' It Out

I got married today. Well, not exactly today. It was Friday, June 2. But the year was 1989 - 17 years ago. "Amazing", people say. "Good for you", they comment. "You must have picked the right one", the add. Amazing? Yes. Good for me? I'll admit it. But it has nothing to do with picking the right one, really. It's not because I found the perfect boy, and it's certainly not because he found the perfect girl. It might sound a little unromantic, but there never really is a 'right one' floating around out there waiting in the cosmos for the other 'right one' to crash and connect. There may be 'better ones'; there may be 'more easily compatible' or something or other. But the real story is you start becoming the right one the moment you vow that "you do". When I married, I had been 20 for a whole 33 days, we had just completed a 2-year long-distance realtionship and HE was five years older tha

"Huncle" Dave

This guy's my uncle. He's 8 years older than me. With my dad being the oldest of 10 kids, my grandma still had kids at home by the time my dad was getting started with life. This guy was my hero when I was growing up--sort of the big brother role, but with a little more novelty than a constant bully and boss hanging around. He certainly did his share of bossing and bullying, but I took it all in stride since I thought he was an incredibly big deal. Since he was the youngest of 10 kids, but older than all the grandkids, he took full advantage and made the best of his position in life. One aspect of him being more 'mature and world-wise' was that he required treatment of proper respect and authority. Thus, I, and my cousins, were expected to boost his ego by calling him by his rightful name "Huncle". This classy moniker had the unique combination of the relationship (uncle) and his self-proclamation of him being a teenage 'hunk'. Since growing up,