Skip to main content

The Name Says It All

Names say a lot. And that's bad for me, since I am more of a face person. I have three main groups of friends. I have my church friends--about a half-dozen girls that are moms with kids about the same age as mine, who share my faith and consider it a priority to have their kids involved at church. Next I have my fitness buddies--the group of girls that I have been working out and kickboxing with for several years. I also have my PTA group--the parents who have kids in my childrens' school, who think it is important to know the school, the teachers and have a say in what happens there. The problem is, these major parts of my life don't generally intersect. This makes for a lot of interesting coversation between myself and any one member of one of these groups.

For instance when I refer to one of my friends to a girl outside that particular group, I actually talk about them like this:
A few of the church girls--
--Jill, my jewelry store friend (she and her husband own Van Horn Jewelers in Owego, NY).
--Marissa, my Berkshire friend (because everybody knows I have a friend who lives out in Timbuk2).
--Angel, my funny friend (she is always the life of the party)
--Crystal, my friend who does everything

Or some kickboxing ones--
--Karen, my marathon friend (she ran the NYC marathon in 2004)
--Lisa Kickbox (because after kickboxing with her for over a year, I still had no idea of her last name. Fortunately, my cell phone directory figures that "Kickbox" is a totally reasonable last name)
--Paige Kickbox (again, the cell phone directory doesn't care that her name is actually spelled Paij as long as it sounds right)
--Twee (I found out her last name a week ago, but still am guessing the spelling on the first name is wrong. However, no need to add "Kickbox" to the end, because I don't know any other Twee's).

A couple of the PTA ones:
--Marianne, my PTA friend (she is the co-president with me)
--Sue, my tall friend

and sometimes, the name has a sadder connotation like:
Annette, who's son had leukemia

Or a happy one like:
Mary, my friend who introduced me to my John

But the truth is, in order to describe these people to one another--an important fact is true. They have shared their lives with me and I have shared mine back with them. Although the descriptions seem silly, they work, and everybody knows who I am talking about. And although they may not have met one another, many of them feel as if they know the others. And that makes me smile.

Comments

Anonymous said…
"Twee?" Now there's any interesting name, surely it's not her real name, is she American?
Anonymous said…
That other post was by me, I didn't mean to click on anonymous. You mean you don't describe me as "Mary, my coolest and most amazing friend ever that ALSO introduced me to my husband?" Hee hee.
Rochelle said…
Jen, well said, you are a terrific writer, maybe someday I'll describe you as...Jennifer, my friend who's an author
JenLo said…
You're all too nice--and Mary, of course your just the coolest, amazing thing ever!
Anonymous said…
Well said! I am just so happy that I am on that list of all your wonderful friends. I am ALWAYS the tall one and have always been! Now my Camron is blessed with that description......~Sue M

Popular posts from this blog

Little Chic's New Do

I have been bugging Little Chic to cut her waist-length hair for a long time. She did take about 4 inches off it about two months ago, and ever since, has been toying with the idea of something drastic and cool. Today was the day! I love it, but it's a little sad too--seeing how it makes her look all mature and teenager-ish.

Stickin' It Out

I got married today. Well, not exactly today. It was Friday, June 2. But the year was 1989 - 17 years ago. "Amazing", people say. "Good for you", they comment. "You must have picked the right one", the add. Amazing? Yes. Good for me? I'll admit it. But it has nothing to do with picking the right one, really. It's not because I found the perfect boy, and it's certainly not because he found the perfect girl. It might sound a little unromantic, but there never really is a 'right one' floating around out there waiting in the cosmos for the other 'right one' to crash and connect. There may be 'better ones'; there may be 'more easily compatible' or something or other. But the real story is you start becoming the right one the moment you vow that "you do". When I married, I had been 20 for a whole 33 days, we had just completed a 2-year long-distance realtionship and HE was five years older tha

"Huncle" Dave

This guy's my uncle. He's 8 years older than me. With my dad being the oldest of 10 kids, my grandma still had kids at home by the time my dad was getting started with life. This guy was my hero when I was growing up--sort of the big brother role, but with a little more novelty than a constant bully and boss hanging around. He certainly did his share of bossing and bullying, but I took it all in stride since I thought he was an incredibly big deal. Since he was the youngest of 10 kids, but older than all the grandkids, he took full advantage and made the best of his position in life. One aspect of him being more 'mature and world-wise' was that he required treatment of proper respect and authority. Thus, I, and my cousins, were expected to boost his ego by calling him by his rightful name "Huncle". This classy moniker had the unique combination of the relationship (uncle) and his self-proclamation of him being a teenage 'hunk'. Since growing up,