Skip to main content

It's a Crock - or is it?

My mom's a nurse, so I was raised around all things medical. I'm married to a medic and I do medical transcription myself so when I don't feel well, I don't worry, fret or think I have cancer, I just get irritable. I'm aggravated because I have a nagging pain, I'm frustrated because my routine gets interrupted if I don't feel like doing my normal stuff and I'll admit, I just like having the excuse to be cranky.

A couple of weeks ago I developed a shin splint from jump roping in my kickboxing class--silly me--barefoot isn't a great way to interval jump for 15 minutes. The pain was off and on, and then because I was walking funny, my ankle and Achilles tendon started to hurt. It wasn't long before my lower back was tight and sore from limping around. So, when I get irritable about being in pain, I figure that my mother trained me well enough in self-medication so I begin to pop pills. All sorts of them. I'm sure I put my kidneys and liver in overdrive with the cocktails, but first I try my favorite, Aleve. It that doesn't work, I switch to Motrin. I'll even resort to aspirin and Tylenol if I need to. And when all else fails, I call the CHIROPRACTOR.

Even though I am relatively intelligent I like to experiment and I don't even mind trying things that I would laugh at other people for. But I'm married to a skeptic, so I pretend to believe that the chiropractor is a voodoo doctor who will perform brain surgery with a twist of your backbone. But I like him anyway (because I'm a balanced, open-minded person).

To make a long story short, after my whole shin splint injury, I woke up Sunday morning with a terrible headache. I went to my little in-home pharmacy and tried every variety of pain pill I had, including my new migraine medicine that has been working great...but nothing worked for 2 days. So Tuesday morning I decided that my headache must be related to some sort of bone situation, so I called the chiropractor. As luck would have it (and it never has before) they had an opening a mere 1 hour after I called. So I zoomed in, ready to be MANipulated.

I went in telling him I had a two day headache. Well, starting with my feet, the chiropractor said my knees were a little out of whack. Only after he jerked on my toes and feet did I tell him I had a shin splint--see there? As he checked out my spine, he saw the result of me walking funny....Told ya he could fix it. Then as he felt all the way to my neck, he found "headache central" as he called it!

Well, just know that I'll do whatever works, I don't care if it makes sense or not. I walked out without a headache, without any shin or ankle pain and I don't care what my skeptic husband says. All I know is that the "knee bone IS connected to the thigh bone" and right on up to my head bone! Now if I can just develop an excuse to try accupuncture...

Comments

Anonymous said…
WAY TO GO JEN! You must have the best chiropractor in town. I never had much luck with them. I’m impressed!
- Debbie S
Anonymous said…
That's great, nothing is worse than nagging pain to really ruin your day. I think there are quack chiro's and really good ones, you must have a good one. Michael jumped off our bed once when he was about 3 and limped for a couple of days so I took him to a good one here, he adjusted him and the limp was gone...made a believer out of me! The same guy has helped several people I know and when you are fixed he doesn't try to get you to come back all the time!
Rochelle said…
Some of them are quacks...you're right, but I know there are good ones. I'm glad you got some relief!

Popular posts from this blog

Little Chic's New Do

I have been bugging Little Chic to cut her waist-length hair for a long time. She did take about 4 inches off it about two months ago, and ever since, has been toying with the idea of something drastic and cool. Today was the day! I love it, but it's a little sad too--seeing how it makes her look all mature and teenager-ish.

"Huncle" Dave

This guy's my uncle. He's 8 years older than me. With my dad being the oldest of 10 kids, my grandma still had kids at home by the time my dad was getting started with life. This guy was my hero when I was growing up--sort of the big brother role, but with a little more novelty than a constant bully and boss hanging around. He certainly did his share of bossing and bullying, but I took it all in stride since I thought he was an incredibly big deal. Since he was the youngest of 10 kids, but older than all the grandkids, he took full advantage and made the best of his position in life. One aspect of him being more 'mature and world-wise' was that he required treatment of proper respect and authority. Thus, I, and my cousins, were expected to boost his ego by calling him by his rightful name "Huncle". This classy moniker had the unique combination of the relationship (uncle) and his self-proclamation of him being a teenage 'hunk'. Since growing up,

Stickin' It Out

I got married today. Well, not exactly today. It was Friday, June 2. But the year was 1989 - 17 years ago. "Amazing", people say. "Good for you", they comment. "You must have picked the right one", the add. Amazing? Yes. Good for me? I'll admit it. But it has nothing to do with picking the right one, really. It's not because I found the perfect boy, and it's certainly not because he found the perfect girl. It might sound a little unromantic, but there never really is a 'right one' floating around out there waiting in the cosmos for the other 'right one' to crash and connect. There may be 'better ones'; there may be 'more easily compatible' or something or other. But the real story is you start becoming the right one the moment you vow that "you do". When I married, I had been 20 for a whole 33 days, we had just completed a 2-year long-distance realtionship and HE was five years older tha