Skip to main content

Bruised Bedhead

Wednesday night was not the most pleasant. I shared my bed with "The Claw". My husband was on a business trip overnight and Caroline, who jumps at any chance to sleep with me, announced that she would keep me from being lonely while dad was gone. "Great" said I through gritted teeth.

You need to know this about my husband and I. We get along great, we never fight, we're quite affectionate with one another, but we take our sleeping business seriously (or at least I do). We have a king sized bed and we each have our own side. And when we are sleeping, we stay ON IT. We are not spooners, snugglers, huggers or anything of the sort unless we are awake. We do not thrash, steal covers, roll over on one another--we keep to ourselves.

Caroline, however, sleeps in a twin bed which is taken up by an adult-sized pink fuzzy horse, 7 stuffed cats and a myriad of other stuffed animals. She has a spot the size of a shoebox to sleep on and her animals all just love it when she lays, crawls, hangs and plops on top of them. I am a different story. I got Caroline settled into my bed about 8:30 pm just before I sat down to pound out some more medical transcription.

CLAW: "Mom, whose side should I sleep on".
Me: "Definitely Dad's. He would be so happy to know you are keeping his spot warm while he's gone. Now be sure to stay right on his side, on his pillow, because that's how he sleeps".
CLAW: "Mom, I think I need an extra blanket. Mom, can you close the closet doors and the bathroom door? I get kind of creeped out when any doors are open. Oh, and can you turn on Dad's CD that he likes to listen to when he's going to sleep? And I might need a drink. Oh and can Fluffy sleep with us (adult size pink horse)."

After getting her all settled, I transcribed until about 11pm and went in to find head on dad's side, feet on mine. Moving her over caused a whole sleep-induced conversation of mumbling, stirring, protesting and the sort. Just as I got settled beside her, the whacking, scratching, kicking, poking, prodding started and continued all night.

I woke up feeling fresh as a rotten cucumber the next morning and I had bruises like I'd just finished a full-contact kickboxing match. The crazy thing is, I'll glady let her sleep with me next time John's gone too.

Comments

Anonymous said…
AWWWW.....very nice story and I do know the feeling!
~Sue
Anonymous said…
What a hoot! My two oldest get to take turns sleeping with me too when Daddy is out of town, and they often manage to find a way to turn sideways in our big bed, can't quite figure that one out. And Rick and I are like you guys, each to their own side while sleeping so if someone touches me in the night it wakes me up instantly. I've had a few hits to the face by a flailing arm, hand, leg or foot - doesn't make for good sleeping does it? Maybe you'll get to sneak in a nap today.
Anonymous said…
I am so, so sorry, but I could not help but giggle through your entire post. I loved the part about "taking your sleeping business seriously" That set the stage for what was to come. Way too funny, I loved it. Hope your feeling better very soon.
- Debbie S

Popular posts from this blog

Little Chic's New Do

I have been bugging Little Chic to cut her waist-length hair for a long time. She did take about 4 inches off it about two months ago, and ever since, has been toying with the idea of something drastic and cool. Today was the day! I love it, but it's a little sad too--seeing how it makes her look all mature and teenager-ish.

"Huncle" Dave

This guy's my uncle. He's 8 years older than me. With my dad being the oldest of 10 kids, my grandma still had kids at home by the time my dad was getting started with life. This guy was my hero when I was growing up--sort of the big brother role, but with a little more novelty than a constant bully and boss hanging around. He certainly did his share of bossing and bullying, but I took it all in stride since I thought he was an incredibly big deal. Since he was the youngest of 10 kids, but older than all the grandkids, he took full advantage and made the best of his position in life. One aspect of him being more 'mature and world-wise' was that he required treatment of proper respect and authority. Thus, I, and my cousins, were expected to boost his ego by calling him by his rightful name "Huncle". This classy moniker had the unique combination of the relationship (uncle) and his self-proclamation of him being a teenage 'hunk'. Since growing up,

Stickin' It Out

I got married today. Well, not exactly today. It was Friday, June 2. But the year was 1989 - 17 years ago. "Amazing", people say. "Good for you", they comment. "You must have picked the right one", the add. Amazing? Yes. Good for me? I'll admit it. But it has nothing to do with picking the right one, really. It's not because I found the perfect boy, and it's certainly not because he found the perfect girl. It might sound a little unromantic, but there never really is a 'right one' floating around out there waiting in the cosmos for the other 'right one' to crash and connect. There may be 'better ones'; there may be 'more easily compatible' or something or other. But the real story is you start becoming the right one the moment you vow that "you do". When I married, I had been 20 for a whole 33 days, we had just completed a 2-year long-distance realtionship and HE was five years older tha