Skip to main content

13.1 New York - April 3, 2010

Last September, after doing two half marathons (one in Nashville for my 40th birthday and one in Syracuse, NY) and walking half of one and all of the other, I decided to begin training to run an entire half marathon. I started in the middle of September using the Couch to 5K program since I've always been more of a kickboxer and strength-trainer rather than a runner. I finished the Couch to 5K program and ran my very first 5K, the Interlaken Steeple Chase in October.

I also began searching for half marathons and was thrilled to find that a favorite charity of mine, World Vision, was sponsoring the 13.1 New York race in April 2010. After some convincing of the hubby, who was determined to come watch wherever I chose but detests large cities (especially ones named "NYC") I registered for the inaugural event of 13.1 New York. Joining this race gives me an opportunity to raise support for World Vision and also is a chance to participate in the very first race that they hold in NYC. My particular race is giving assistance in Africa providing things like wells for clean water and food. If you want to support me in my race, simply click on the link above and you can make a donation right online. You can also follow my progress as I journal about my training each week.

Once I had completed my 5k training, I began to work up to 5 mile runs and officially started my half marathon training on Monday, January 10. It was exciting to complete my first long run (6 miles - the furthest I have ever run) wearing my super-cool, neon orange Team World Vision shirt. Lots of people reportedly spotted me running around town.

Especially in light of the tragic earthquake that occurred in Haiti this week, I am thrilled at the timeliness of my race and the huge presence that World Vision has in the assistance of disasters like this. If you have been thinking about ways that you can help, or organizations that you may want to support, visit World Vision and consider making a donation.

Comments

ajh said…
Thanks for commenting on my blog. We don't have a Target :( or that would so be one of my favorite places!
Nicki said…
Good for you, Jennifer! I am watching your training. Maybe we will run together some time.
newrunner said…
That's great!!!! I'm going to be running my longest of 5 miles this coming Sunday, I'm excited.
Molly said…
It sounds like you picked a great half marathon, that will be a perfect time of year to do it too! Good luck with your training, you look like you're already on a great training path.
Tricia said…
How exciting! I look forward to following your training.
Anonymous said…
During my occasional flirtations with running, I used and enjoyed the Couch to 5K program as well. I would love to get back into running and might just borrow a page from your playbook: finding a race associated with a meaningful cause to help keep me motivated. Good for you!

Thanks for stopping by my place to comment on Nicki's guest post. Hope to see you again!
Molly said…
Hey! you won my Sweet Riot Giveaway! email me your address so they can mail you your prize!

mesbaker@gmail.com
Thank you, that was just an awesome post!!!.....

Popular posts from this blog

Little Chic's New Do

I have been bugging Little Chic to cut her waist-length hair for a long time. She did take about 4 inches off it about two months ago, and ever since, has been toying with the idea of something drastic and cool. Today was the day! I love it, but it's a little sad too--seeing how it makes her look all mature and teenager-ish.

Stickin' It Out

I got married today. Well, not exactly today. It was Friday, June 2. But the year was 1989 - 17 years ago. "Amazing", people say. "Good for you", they comment. "You must have picked the right one", the add. Amazing? Yes. Good for me? I'll admit it. But it has nothing to do with picking the right one, really. It's not because I found the perfect boy, and it's certainly not because he found the perfect girl. It might sound a little unromantic, but there never really is a 'right one' floating around out there waiting in the cosmos for the other 'right one' to crash and connect. There may be 'better ones'; there may be 'more easily compatible' or something or other. But the real story is you start becoming the right one the moment you vow that "you do". When I married, I had been 20 for a whole 33 days, we had just completed a 2-year long-distance realtionship and HE was five years older tha

"Huncle" Dave

This guy's my uncle. He's 8 years older than me. With my dad being the oldest of 10 kids, my grandma still had kids at home by the time my dad was getting started with life. This guy was my hero when I was growing up--sort of the big brother role, but with a little more novelty than a constant bully and boss hanging around. He certainly did his share of bossing and bullying, but I took it all in stride since I thought he was an incredibly big deal. Since he was the youngest of 10 kids, but older than all the grandkids, he took full advantage and made the best of his position in life. One aspect of him being more 'mature and world-wise' was that he required treatment of proper respect and authority. Thus, I, and my cousins, were expected to boost his ego by calling him by his rightful name "Huncle". This classy moniker had the unique combination of the relationship (uncle) and his self-proclamation of him being a teenage 'hunk'. Since growing up,