Skip to main content

Nature Lovin' It

We trekked out for an annual camping trip with friends last week. We usually make several trips a summer to the Adirondack forest, but time was seemingly short this summer--so we settled for one lone trip.We spent the first night in Muh Main Man's hunting cabin near Long Lake and then proceeded to our camp site on the water at Cranberry Lake where our buddies were waiting for us.


DogSpot even had a friend as our camping partners brought along their dog as well.

We spent six days chillin' in the boat, cooking over the camp stove, making S'mores around the campfire at night...all the usual thrills of being in the outdoors without technology and the responsibilities of home life. It was suprising that more than a few of the trees have already begun to change colors. I'm sure that's due to the fact that nights are reguarly in the 40s and we had two nights in the 30-degree range. Fortunately our camper is a bit more insulated than tents would be, so we fared fairly well.

It was a little sad to come home being that it was our only one for the season. I'm especially glum because of the pile of laundry that is nigh the height of Bear Mountain that we hiked one afternoon. I dare say the laundry will take longer to complete than our hike did.

We are back just in time to finish a few last minute school preparations and then the Juniors will be back in school on Wednesday--Little Chic in 6th grade and Brainy Boy over at the middle school in 7th. Sometimes the end of summer comes and I'm glad to get back into the swing of a routine, but I'm don't feel quite ready for this summer to end. This time it seems like there should be a little more to enjoy.

Comments

Rochelle said…
Kinda sad to have summer come & go so quick isn't it? I'm glad you got a nice looonngg camping trip in before it was over!
Anonymous said…
I remember taking the boys hiking up Bear Mountain when we lived in Potsdam years ago. I love the Cranberry Lake/Tupper Lake region of the Adirondacks. Glad you had a good time!
Anonymous said…
It looks very similar to the Old Forge region where my parents have a cabin. We only made it up once this year, too. I know what you mean about summer slipping by without registering enough this year!

(I love the way the bedrooms turned out!)
Unknown said…
So glad you guys had a great time. We ran into Marissa Thursday evening (at Wal-Mart) before both of our trips. I was so surprised to hear my name and when I looked over, it was her. It was so nice bumping into her.
Anonymous said…
I gave you an award over at my blog today. :-)

Popular posts from this blog

Little Chic's New Do

I have been bugging Little Chic to cut her waist-length hair for a long time. She did take about 4 inches off it about two months ago, and ever since, has been toying with the idea of something drastic and cool. Today was the day! I love it, but it's a little sad too--seeing how it makes her look all mature and teenager-ish.

Stickin' It Out

I got married today. Well, not exactly today. It was Friday, June 2. But the year was 1989 - 17 years ago. "Amazing", people say. "Good for you", they comment. "You must have picked the right one", the add. Amazing? Yes. Good for me? I'll admit it. But it has nothing to do with picking the right one, really. It's not because I found the perfect boy, and it's certainly not because he found the perfect girl. It might sound a little unromantic, but there never really is a 'right one' floating around out there waiting in the cosmos for the other 'right one' to crash and connect. There may be 'better ones'; there may be 'more easily compatible' or something or other. But the real story is you start becoming the right one the moment you vow that "you do". When I married, I had been 20 for a whole 33 days, we had just completed a 2-year long-distance realtionship and HE was five years older tha

"Huncle" Dave

This guy's my uncle. He's 8 years older than me. With my dad being the oldest of 10 kids, my grandma still had kids at home by the time my dad was getting started with life. This guy was my hero when I was growing up--sort of the big brother role, but with a little more novelty than a constant bully and boss hanging around. He certainly did his share of bossing and bullying, but I took it all in stride since I thought he was an incredibly big deal. Since he was the youngest of 10 kids, but older than all the grandkids, he took full advantage and made the best of his position in life. One aspect of him being more 'mature and world-wise' was that he required treatment of proper respect and authority. Thus, I, and my cousins, were expected to boost his ego by calling him by his rightful name "Huncle". This classy moniker had the unique combination of the relationship (uncle) and his self-proclamation of him being a teenage 'hunk'. Since growing up,