Skip to main content

The Difference Between Boys & Girls

The time has been long overdue to repaint the rooms of the Short People.

::Fair Warning:: This will be the last time I refer to them as the "Short People" due to the recent advancement in the height of Brainy Boy. He is now 64.25 inches...I am 64 inches even. After the present post, they will be called "the Juniors."

Any-whooo, Brainy Boy had no interest in actually helping pick out his decor or room color, other than insisting that it be something "plain." Our initial pick was gray/white/black striped bedding, but Muh Main Man has some weird psychotic allergy to black. I usually completely ignore his decorating advice, but in a moment of weakness, I let him convince me that the color scheme was too Goth. I bribed Brainy Boy to come along and pick an alternative by offering a prized lunch at Panera Bread Co. We settled for an extremely plain blue/brown plaid with a stripe of red running through it. Light blue paint completed the room. He has been thrilled ever since.

Little Chic, on the other hand, has been planning and scheming her room for months. She had planned to choose blue/brown for her room UNTIL the fateful day we used that for Brainy Boy's. At that point, it was vetoed. She declared that she did not want her room the same as his in any way.

She opted instead for a snazzy chocolate brown and fuscia ensemble and laid out her plan for the paint. She would be splatter painting her walls in hues of "chocolate brown" and "hot pink." In my style of no-fuss, no-muss decorating, that was a No Go.

As a second choice she decided she could live with two walls painted chocolate brown and two walls painted hot pink. I think not.

Finally, after much threatening to leave the room the way it was, she huffed and puffed that if I forced her to, she would live with a light tan as long as she could paint color blocks of her beloved chocolate brown and hot pink. That I can live with.

So this week while Little Chic is at summer camp, I am commissioned to put the light tan on the walls. I promised that I would wait till she gets home so we can collaborate on the exact placement of the 12 X 12 pink and brown bold color squares that we will add.

All I can say is....she better like it till she goes to college!

Comments

Unknown said…
There is a girl here at work whose office is chocolate and a green...2 walls chocolate...2 walls green and it actually looks pretty cool. :) I'm sure the blocks will be fun also!
I think Amy and I will have to make at trip up there and check it out.
Unknown said…
Oh the joys of paint! Even though Bob has given me permission to pick the wall colors, I still have trouble committing. I'm so excited though as I found just the right inspiration for our family room.
Anonymous said…
Okay, I want to see pictures!!!

Oh MY, Eric has really sprouted. Camron is 5'5"!!! Holy Moley!

~Sue
Anonymous said…
You just have to show pictures! I definitely want to see the finished rooms!!
Moonshadow said…
Is this the difference between boys and girls ... or first-born and second-born? My two boys sound very like your children in their preferences: the first-born lets me pick ... but the second-born knows exactly what he wants ... and different from the first!

Oh, well, sounds nice ... we have lots of brown in our place now too. Very warm and cozy. Enjoy!

Popular posts from this blog

Little Chic's New Do

I have been bugging Little Chic to cut her waist-length hair for a long time. She did take about 4 inches off it about two months ago, and ever since, has been toying with the idea of something drastic and cool. Today was the day! I love it, but it's a little sad too--seeing how it makes her look all mature and teenager-ish.

Stickin' It Out

I got married today. Well, not exactly today. It was Friday, June 2. But the year was 1989 - 17 years ago. "Amazing", people say. "Good for you", they comment. "You must have picked the right one", the add. Amazing? Yes. Good for me? I'll admit it. But it has nothing to do with picking the right one, really. It's not because I found the perfect boy, and it's certainly not because he found the perfect girl. It might sound a little unromantic, but there never really is a 'right one' floating around out there waiting in the cosmos for the other 'right one' to crash and connect. There may be 'better ones'; there may be 'more easily compatible' or something or other. But the real story is you start becoming the right one the moment you vow that "you do". When I married, I had been 20 for a whole 33 days, we had just completed a 2-year long-distance realtionship and HE was five years older tha

"Huncle" Dave

This guy's my uncle. He's 8 years older than me. With my dad being the oldest of 10 kids, my grandma still had kids at home by the time my dad was getting started with life. This guy was my hero when I was growing up--sort of the big brother role, but with a little more novelty than a constant bully and boss hanging around. He certainly did his share of bossing and bullying, but I took it all in stride since I thought he was an incredibly big deal. Since he was the youngest of 10 kids, but older than all the grandkids, he took full advantage and made the best of his position in life. One aspect of him being more 'mature and world-wise' was that he required treatment of proper respect and authority. Thus, I, and my cousins, were expected to boost his ego by calling him by his rightful name "Huncle". This classy moniker had the unique combination of the relationship (uncle) and his self-proclamation of him being a teenage 'hunk'. Since growing up,