Skip to main content

Think Green

I'm not a particularly green-minded person, I'm embarrassed to admit. I do my share of recycling because frankly, the garbage company requires clear bags and will leave our garbage sitting at the curb if there are cans, bottles, glass jars and that sort of stuff included. I do make a very moderate attempt at turning off lights, not running the hot water too long and that kind of thing, but if it's too inconvenient, I really don't do my part. And if it's not comfortable---let's just say I neeeed the heat set at 70 in the bitter cold winter.

I did decide to begin experimenting a year ago with the fluorescent lights that have become increasingly popular. That's the only conscious change I've made in our power consumption and even though our temperatures have been 8 degrees colder this month compared to a year ago, our power consumption is down 24 kwh on a daily average. When I first began the switch, I noticed a drop in our power bill, and now that we've been using them for a year, our monthly bill is about $60 less than it used to be.

Since we've made such a noticeable difference, I'm going to continue to switch out to fluorescents as my incandescents burn out (I'm about 75% switched) and I might even be inspired to put on a sweater & turn down the heat.

Comments

Rochelle said…
wow! that's really a big difference! I haven't switched but a few lights to fluorescents in our house...this may inspire me to switch quite a few more.
Laura said…
Wow - that is a big difference...we have a few, but I should invest in more.

thanks for sharing and encouraging me to make the switch!
Kimberly said…
We just started swithing light-bulbs, too. I like the effect and I'm anxious to see if they really last 6 years!!
Outstanding! In New York, every penny counts. I have been very wary of the CFLs, because of their mercury content. I'm hoping for more technology on the horizon.

I do wonder why we are seeing technology advance with leaps and bounds for things like cloning, but when it comes to our oil dependence or energy use, it's like we're still in the 1910s.
laurie said…
You should have bought stock in those bulbs before you endorsed them huh? I too have been switching but not at a fast rate. I guess I'd better get busy. I've had the ones in the Kitchen for 3 years now.
Unknown said…
Wow, $60 is a nice little peice of change to be saving! I just started switching out light bulbs, and I also recently turned my hot water tank down, so we'll see what happens!
Blessings
Melanie said…
Well, I'm certainly not going to turn my heat down below 70 degrees. But, after this post I'm going to consider the fluorescents. They are just so expensive up front, but if I could lower our power bill it would be all worth it. I wonder if the bulbs really last for 6-7 years though.
Heather said…
I popped over here from 5 minutes for mom ... thanks for posting this - I need to go more green myself!

Blessings!
~Heather

Popular posts from this blog

Little Chic's New Do

I have been bugging Little Chic to cut her waist-length hair for a long time. She did take about 4 inches off it about two months ago, and ever since, has been toying with the idea of something drastic and cool. Today was the day! I love it, but it's a little sad too--seeing how it makes her look all mature and teenager-ish.

Stickin' It Out

I got married today. Well, not exactly today. It was Friday, June 2. But the year was 1989 - 17 years ago. "Amazing", people say. "Good for you", they comment. "You must have picked the right one", the add. Amazing? Yes. Good for me? I'll admit it. But it has nothing to do with picking the right one, really. It's not because I found the perfect boy, and it's certainly not because he found the perfect girl. It might sound a little unromantic, but there never really is a 'right one' floating around out there waiting in the cosmos for the other 'right one' to crash and connect. There may be 'better ones'; there may be 'more easily compatible' or something or other. But the real story is you start becoming the right one the moment you vow that "you do". When I married, I had been 20 for a whole 33 days, we had just completed a 2-year long-distance realtionship and HE was five years older tha

"Huncle" Dave

This guy's my uncle. He's 8 years older than me. With my dad being the oldest of 10 kids, my grandma still had kids at home by the time my dad was getting started with life. This guy was my hero when I was growing up--sort of the big brother role, but with a little more novelty than a constant bully and boss hanging around. He certainly did his share of bossing and bullying, but I took it all in stride since I thought he was an incredibly big deal. Since he was the youngest of 10 kids, but older than all the grandkids, he took full advantage and made the best of his position in life. One aspect of him being more 'mature and world-wise' was that he required treatment of proper respect and authority. Thus, I, and my cousins, were expected to boost his ego by calling him by his rightful name "Huncle". This classy moniker had the unique combination of the relationship (uncle) and his self-proclamation of him being a teenage 'hunk'. Since growing up,