Skip to main content

...My, Oh, My, What a Wonderful Day...

....really, it is. Seriously. I've spent an uninterrupted week at home with my little darlings. Who's mentioning that they've been sick? And pitifully sick at that. I have to say that in my 11 years experience as a mom, I have never seen them quite this sick for this long. I've made an unofficial "mom diagnosis" of the flu. And an expert I should be in this topic since I have been a medical transcriptionist for the past 11 years and I participated in a flu study - for two years running. So go with me on this one. Got it?

It started with Muh Main Man, as we've so faithfully reminded him throughout the week. The Short People got sick almost on cue Sunday afternoon/evening. It started with an extremely sore throat and some stomach queasiness. It progressed to aching and lethargy which prompted our visit to the doctor Tuesday morning. She suspected strep was on the way, although the rapid test was negative. She gave an antibiotic which has done nothing but launch the stomach upset to an all time high. I can only hope that it did ward off impending strep, but the Short People have not improved at all over the course of the week. Today was day four of missed school, which was a first in their student careers. It's doubtful they'll be going tomorrow either. I have to say they are feeling about as miserable as they did at the beginning of the week.

Proof positive of the sick level is that the Xbox has been on for a total of about 30 minutes for the entire week as has the computer-generated entertainment. The most excitement we've had since the bug hit is to have a duet of moaning from the couch with Full House reruns in the background.

I have to say that Muh Main Man has done more than his fair share of the nursing, as he was still home sick for the first half of the week. He dragged his own pitiful self out of bed to fix a scrambled egg or a give a medicine dose here or there while I ran around fulfilling special requests like this little gem. Brainy Boy got a hankering for a special breakfast entree that Unke (sister Amy's hubby, Uncle Dale) fixed at Thanksgiving. In true gourmet fashion, the only thing that would hit the spot was Brie and apples on raisin toast with balsamic maple syrup. Go figure. That little piece of heaven was pretty much the only thing he was able to eat for the week too.

I'm hoping that they are on the upswing soon because TLC is exhausting, folks! You'd think I would have the house whipped into shape, the laundry all caught up and have hours to just sit and read stories to keep everyone's minds off their misery. But truth be told, it's a mess around here. We're in a heap of tissues, plastic cups and paper plates. You have no idea how long it takes to snuggle up for an episode of Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends or a cozy nap beside the sickies!

I'm just hoping that with my participation in the flu study, I got the real shot and not the placebo. Wouldn't that be a kicker?

Comments

Unknown said…
Ugh, so sorry to hear the kids are still under the weather. But that breakfast sure does look delightful!
laurie said…
I am not having it too rough yet. Austin was worse than they thought so he has had alot of pain. Katlyn has been up and around helping with her brother. We are having the worst time trying to get him to drink anything. He just simply says he can't but I know he'll end up in the hospital if he doesn't get the liquids down. Hopefully today will be better.
Unknown said…
That was a yummy breakfast I can see how it would hit the spot! Hope you stay healthy!

Popular posts from this blog

Little Chic's New Do

I have been bugging Little Chic to cut her waist-length hair for a long time. She did take about 4 inches off it about two months ago, and ever since, has been toying with the idea of something drastic and cool. Today was the day! I love it, but it's a little sad too--seeing how it makes her look all mature and teenager-ish.

"Huncle" Dave

This guy's my uncle. He's 8 years older than me. With my dad being the oldest of 10 kids, my grandma still had kids at home by the time my dad was getting started with life. This guy was my hero when I was growing up--sort of the big brother role, but with a little more novelty than a constant bully and boss hanging around. He certainly did his share of bossing and bullying, but I took it all in stride since I thought he was an incredibly big deal. Since he was the youngest of 10 kids, but older than all the grandkids, he took full advantage and made the best of his position in life. One aspect of him being more 'mature and world-wise' was that he required treatment of proper respect and authority. Thus, I, and my cousins, were expected to boost his ego by calling him by his rightful name "Huncle". This classy moniker had the unique combination of the relationship (uncle) and his self-proclamation of him being a teenage 'hunk'. Since growing up,

Stickin' It Out

I got married today. Well, not exactly today. It was Friday, June 2. But the year was 1989 - 17 years ago. "Amazing", people say. "Good for you", they comment. "You must have picked the right one", the add. Amazing? Yes. Good for me? I'll admit it. But it has nothing to do with picking the right one, really. It's not because I found the perfect boy, and it's certainly not because he found the perfect girl. It might sound a little unromantic, but there never really is a 'right one' floating around out there waiting in the cosmos for the other 'right one' to crash and connect. There may be 'better ones'; there may be 'more easily compatible' or something or other. But the real story is you start becoming the right one the moment you vow that "you do". When I married, I had been 20 for a whole 33 days, we had just completed a 2-year long-distance realtionship and HE was five years older tha