Skip to main content

LOVING WELL, with Beth Moore

Girls, I've got a treat for you this time. Guys, don't take off; I'll catch you on the bottom side of the post...

Lots of you are familiar with Beth Moore. If you're not, your missing a chance to know your best girlfriend. Beth is a gifted speaker and writer who is known for her ability to get to the heart of the Scriptures and tell you in plain, every day language just exactly what it means to you. And she does it in a "Girl, I gotta-tell-ya-because-I-love-ya" kind of way. She's also known for her in-depth Bible studies and video seminars that are practical for both women and men.

The video seminar I just got though, beats all. It is called Loving Well, and is different from anything Beth has done so far. It is geared toward a weekend ladies retreat rather than her usual in-depth, time-committed studies. It's called a "Retreat in a Box", sort of like those bed-in-a-bag things you see at JC Penny. The kit comes with everything you need to have a spiritually-geared girls weekend. It's complete with a leader's guide, all the videos, a bunch of ice breakers and games, some promotion posters with 48 invitation postcards and best of all....a cute little tote bag in the lime green motif to carry it all!
When I opened the box, of course I immediately grabbed out the tote and loaded all the stuff in it. I had to just admire the cuteness of it for a while before I broke open the actual goods. The leader's guide is a concise little "how-to" manual that takes you through a suggested schedule and tells you what helpers you might need to put a weekend together. You can easily follow the directions even if you've never organized so much as a birthday party. There is a journal that goes along with the study that the participants use for about six weeks after the seminar to follow up on the topic of the retreat. She also includes a CD-Rom with all sorts of print resources and advertising material. To help you get the word out, there is a short promotion video on the DVD that you can show to get all your girls begging to be invited. The entire package retails for $99 and that's a bargain if you've ever shopped around for video seminars. You can get it here, and I suggest that you dash over before all the smart girls deplete the inventory.

Now, I did the videos in a the second suggested format. I used the DVDs in my Sunday School class and since the videos range from 37 to 50 minutes, they fit perfectly in our alloted time slot. There are four sessions, so we covered them nicely in a month. The topic was so popular that we had women come from other Sunday School classes for the four-week session and I have three other leaders begging to be the next one to borrow the DVDs for their own studies. If you use the weekend format, you'll watch one video on Friday night and the three remaining ones throughout the morning and afternoon on Saturday.

The best part of the entire package is definitely the topic of the seminar. It's called Loving Well, based on I John, Chapter 4. The premise is that you can't properly love others until you've been loved well by God first. Beth hits home the point that as Christians, we are called to especially love those who are difficult to love, and that God wants to provide the key to doing just that. The topic is rich and effective and would be great for men and women both other than the fact that she is specifically talking to "us girls" and you guys might get a little tired of hearing us all giggle over "girl stuff."

So here's where you come in, Guys....take the kids to Grandma's for the weekend, hire Merry Maids to spiff up your house (I'm sure it doesn't even need spiffed) and instruct your ladies to invite a dozen friends over for a little weekend getaway at your place. They'll thank you for it because they'll be able to start

Comments

Mary Ellen said…
I gotta tell you - this one is REALLY tempting to buy!!!! I am planning on going to one of her weekend retreats with my sister and three other friends in January, but it's tempting to get it and do a girls weekend sometime too - definitely have to think about this one.
Amy B. said…
That looks awesome! I'll be passing this on to our Women's Ministries Leader!
Knitty said…
I just attended this seminar conducted at a local church...and I have to say this is the BEST Beth Moore work to date! I came home, applied what I learned and my home is so much more at peace. Thanks, Beth!

Popular posts from this blog

Little Chic's New Do

I have been bugging Little Chic to cut her waist-length hair for a long time. She did take about 4 inches off it about two months ago, and ever since, has been toying with the idea of something drastic and cool. Today was the day! I love it, but it's a little sad too--seeing how it makes her look all mature and teenager-ish.

Stickin' It Out

I got married today. Well, not exactly today. It was Friday, June 2. But the year was 1989 - 17 years ago. "Amazing", people say. "Good for you", they comment. "You must have picked the right one", the add. Amazing? Yes. Good for me? I'll admit it. But it has nothing to do with picking the right one, really. It's not because I found the perfect boy, and it's certainly not because he found the perfect girl. It might sound a little unromantic, but there never really is a 'right one' floating around out there waiting in the cosmos for the other 'right one' to crash and connect. There may be 'better ones'; there may be 'more easily compatible' or something or other. But the real story is you start becoming the right one the moment you vow that "you do". When I married, I had been 20 for a whole 33 days, we had just completed a 2-year long-distance realtionship and HE was five years older tha

"Huncle" Dave

This guy's my uncle. He's 8 years older than me. With my dad being the oldest of 10 kids, my grandma still had kids at home by the time my dad was getting started with life. This guy was my hero when I was growing up--sort of the big brother role, but with a little more novelty than a constant bully and boss hanging around. He certainly did his share of bossing and bullying, but I took it all in stride since I thought he was an incredibly big deal. Since he was the youngest of 10 kids, but older than all the grandkids, he took full advantage and made the best of his position in life. One aspect of him being more 'mature and world-wise' was that he required treatment of proper respect and authority. Thus, I, and my cousins, were expected to boost his ego by calling him by his rightful name "Huncle". This classy moniker had the unique combination of the relationship (uncle) and his self-proclamation of him being a teenage 'hunk'. Since growing up,