Skip to main content

Dashing To & Fro

Whoa, stop the merry-go-round! In the last 2 days, I've crammed in about as much as humanly possible to the waking hours of the day. I started yesterday morning by taking a walk with poor DogSpot in the torrential rain. I would have persevered, but the poor dog couldn't figure out why she was being punished. She was dashing under every tree she could find so I took pity on her and we stopped after a block. I came home to find I was called to fill in as a substitute receptionist for the district office of my children's school. I've always thought I was cut out to thrive under pressure. Apparently my humdrum mom-life of the last few years has ill-equipped me to answer switchboards and transfer calls to people for whom there is no telephone listing. And it was a bit heavy a responsibility to decide who looked suspicious and whether or not they deserved getting "buzzed" into the building. That done, I dashed home to fix a less than stellar dinner for my children and hustle us all off to the first PTA meeting of the year. Always a fun time.

This morning, I skipped kickboxing in favor of a Starbucks pumpkin spice latte with my friend, Debbie. We followed that with a bout of house hunting, pottery seeking and lots of chatting. We refueled with lunch after which I dashed home and sanded down the newly painted door that DogSpot scratched up last night. Anybody looking for a furry family member or else a husband who lets the dog in and out the freshly painted door? Since it got into the 40s here in the Nether regions last night, I have to wait to repaint the again-ugly entrance to my abode. I did promise Little Chic that she could help me paint those last few spindles for the upper deck and I'm wondering what possessed me in that moment of weakness. I meant "sometime". She interpreted that as "today".

We're off to Club 6-7-8 at church for Brainy Boy tonight and I may have to take another shot in the form of caffeine if I'm to get us back home without succumbing to a bout of narcolepsy. I'm sure I have lots more great things to tell you, but frankly, I have not the energy to adequately describe the thrills of life at this point. So, see ya later!

Comments

Unknown said…
I had such a delightful morning; we'll have to do that again sometime!

I'm so sorry about your front door. And poor DogSpot, she just hasn't learned to keep her paws off of the wet paint yet.
PandaMom said…
OK~Kickboxing is great and all, but I'm with you, girl on the stop-off at Starbucks instead! ; )
Rochelle said…
whew. just reading that made me a little anxious!
Jay said…
whoa! kickboxing! what a mom!
Wow! Busy busy mommy :D
I've never tried that drink from Starbucks ... I wonder if there's one here in this city ... hmm ...
Melanie said…
I feel like to rest just from reading all of that!! You sure have been busy.

That pumpkin spice latte sounds delicious!

Popular posts from this blog

Little Chic's New Do

I have been bugging Little Chic to cut her waist-length hair for a long time. She did take about 4 inches off it about two months ago, and ever since, has been toying with the idea of something drastic and cool. Today was the day! I love it, but it's a little sad too--seeing how it makes her look all mature and teenager-ish.

Stickin' It Out

I got married today. Well, not exactly today. It was Friday, June 2. But the year was 1989 - 17 years ago. "Amazing", people say. "Good for you", they comment. "You must have picked the right one", the add. Amazing? Yes. Good for me? I'll admit it. But it has nothing to do with picking the right one, really. It's not because I found the perfect boy, and it's certainly not because he found the perfect girl. It might sound a little unromantic, but there never really is a 'right one' floating around out there waiting in the cosmos for the other 'right one' to crash and connect. There may be 'better ones'; there may be 'more easily compatible' or something or other. But the real story is you start becoming the right one the moment you vow that "you do". When I married, I had been 20 for a whole 33 days, we had just completed a 2-year long-distance realtionship and HE was five years older tha

"Huncle" Dave

This guy's my uncle. He's 8 years older than me. With my dad being the oldest of 10 kids, my grandma still had kids at home by the time my dad was getting started with life. This guy was my hero when I was growing up--sort of the big brother role, but with a little more novelty than a constant bully and boss hanging around. He certainly did his share of bossing and bullying, but I took it all in stride since I thought he was an incredibly big deal. Since he was the youngest of 10 kids, but older than all the grandkids, he took full advantage and made the best of his position in life. One aspect of him being more 'mature and world-wise' was that he required treatment of proper respect and authority. Thus, I, and my cousins, were expected to boost his ego by calling him by his rightful name "Huncle". This classy moniker had the unique combination of the relationship (uncle) and his self-proclamation of him being a teenage 'hunk'. Since growing up,