Skip to main content

Tigers VS Golden Bears

My kids happen to go to the school that is the arch rival of the high school Hero Guy attended as a teenager. Little Chic has always taken great pleasure in heckling Hero Guy about "her" school beating "his" school in football. As luck would have it, tonight they were playing against one another and we decided to attend our very first high school football game since our kids have been school-aged. Brainy Boy really cared nothing about going, but he went along with the idea after I bribed him by letting him bring a friend along. Little Chic was totally invested, as she really wanted to see her dad's team beat and besides, she is really into any kind of competition, no matter what the game.

We met a couple of other families and sat in the bleachers until Little Chic realized that it was permissible to stand at the fence surrounding the football field. Once she became aware that she could be within touching distance of not only the life-sized tiger mascot but also the cheerleaders, she and I were permanently parked directly out of view of any and all field action because of the mass of cheerleaders in front of us. We did, however, have a clear shot of the scoreboard, and so we were able to scream and jump at all the appropriate times.

Hero Guy lost interest in the third quarter when it was clear his team was getting stomped, and he offered to take Brainy Boy and buddy home since they were harassing fans for their empty soda cans (all for a good cause - a church fundraiser, Cans for Christ). Little Chic and I toughed it out to the very end when she gleefully called her dad to announce the final score of 21 to 7 in favor of her beloved Tigers. We celebrated with a doughnut and hot chocolate from Dunkin Donuts and we even gave a couple dollars to a homeless guy who looked like he was needing something warm to drink on this chilly night.

Unfortunately, just as the weather is getting uncomfortably cold on these northern nights, Little Chic has decided she is a committed, die-hard high school football fan. She already has plans on how to paint her face in the traditional orange and black for next Saturday night's game. I'm planning on fixing a quarter for the toss-up with Hero Guy to see who loses and gets to take her.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Little Chic's New Do

I have been bugging Little Chic to cut her waist-length hair for a long time. She did take about 4 inches off it about two months ago, and ever since, has been toying with the idea of something drastic and cool. Today was the day! I love it, but it's a little sad too--seeing how it makes her look all mature and teenager-ish.

Stickin' It Out

I got married today. Well, not exactly today. It was Friday, June 2. But the year was 1989 - 17 years ago. "Amazing", people say. "Good for you", they comment. "You must have picked the right one", the add. Amazing? Yes. Good for me? I'll admit it. But it has nothing to do with picking the right one, really. It's not because I found the perfect boy, and it's certainly not because he found the perfect girl. It might sound a little unromantic, but there never really is a 'right one' floating around out there waiting in the cosmos for the other 'right one' to crash and connect. There may be 'better ones'; there may be 'more easily compatible' or something or other. But the real story is you start becoming the right one the moment you vow that "you do". When I married, I had been 20 for a whole 33 days, we had just completed a 2-year long-distance realtionship and HE was five years older tha

"Huncle" Dave

This guy's my uncle. He's 8 years older than me. With my dad being the oldest of 10 kids, my grandma still had kids at home by the time my dad was getting started with life. This guy was my hero when I was growing up--sort of the big brother role, but with a little more novelty than a constant bully and boss hanging around. He certainly did his share of bossing and bullying, but I took it all in stride since I thought he was an incredibly big deal. Since he was the youngest of 10 kids, but older than all the grandkids, he took full advantage and made the best of his position in life. One aspect of him being more 'mature and world-wise' was that he required treatment of proper respect and authority. Thus, I, and my cousins, were expected to boost his ego by calling him by his rightful name "Huncle". This classy moniker had the unique combination of the relationship (uncle) and his self-proclamation of him being a teenage 'hunk'. Since growing up,