Skip to main content

The Seventh Day

Saturdays are weird days. They are different for everyone. For some, it is catch-up day; a day to get the laundry and housecleaning done after a week of working outside the house. For others, it is a day to do nothing; a day to relax and re-energize before the craziness of Sunday with church and family. Still for others, it is a day for projects, errands, appointments and other things we have put off until the weekend.

For our family, Saturday is not the same for any one of us. For John, it is a day of yard work, odd jobs, and usually some type of fire department responsibility, either training or planning. For me, it is a day to chill out after a busy week and before the flurry of activity that Sunday brings. For Eric, nothing suits him better than to stay in his jammies absolutely all day and go nowhere except the back yard to play, when he is good and ready. For Caroline, it's a day she likes to drag all her little projects out to the middle of the floor, to stitch and sew, pretend to knit, create an elaborate picture or some other such art.

Today was no different. I have a friend who spent the day preparing for the Leprechaun to come visit their family complete with a meal of corned beef and cabbage. Another friend took a tour of a fitness center in order to sign up for excercise. My mom spent the day traveling to TX to spend a week with her beau. John headed out at 7am for a day of fire rescue training. Eric spent the day planning attacks and battles with his favorite boardgame, Life, all by himself. And Caroline and I did one of her favorite things--we worked on a project together. She and I prepared goodie bags for the Mother/Son Bowling Extravaganza that Eric and I attended tonight. This school event gives a chance for moms and boys to spend some fun time together and just bond.

Saturdays are good, no matter what you spend them on. That's true even if your schedule makes your Saturday happen on a Monday.

Comments

Rochelle said…
I find great pleasure in a 'slow' Saturday around the house...just catching up on things...it makes me feels more rested & relaxed about starting Monday with plenty of energy!
Anonymous said…
First Things First when it comes to Saturday around the Stewart's. The very first and foremost thing we do is "sleep in" no alarms to wake us and we take our time waking. The very next thing on the agenda for me is my coffee and relaxing with Bobby while we both look at the newspaper, clip coupons, check out the sales... We are not ones to rush about when it comes to the weekend; we like to do whatever strikes our fancy when we are good and ready. One of our weekend rules is to never be in a rush or hurry, just relax and let the day unfold.

- Debbie
Anonymous said…
Thanks Caroline for taking time to do the goodie bags, what a great job!
Saturdays are relaxing here too. Although, my boys bowl in the mornings but it is a nice relaxing time watching them enjoy themselves with their best buds. I sit with a coffee and relax and have a french fry or two!
Then it's just relaxing in the afternoon doing odd jobs if need be. Soon, it will be spent at the baseball field wathing Damon. Camron isn't playing this year but he will find the shadiest tree and play gameboy!
~Sue

Popular posts from this blog

Little Chic's New Do

I have been bugging Little Chic to cut her waist-length hair for a long time. She did take about 4 inches off it about two months ago, and ever since, has been toying with the idea of something drastic and cool. Today was the day! I love it, but it's a little sad too--seeing how it makes her look all mature and teenager-ish.

Stickin' It Out

I got married today. Well, not exactly today. It was Friday, June 2. But the year was 1989 - 17 years ago. "Amazing", people say. "Good for you", they comment. "You must have picked the right one", the add. Amazing? Yes. Good for me? I'll admit it. But it has nothing to do with picking the right one, really. It's not because I found the perfect boy, and it's certainly not because he found the perfect girl. It might sound a little unromantic, but there never really is a 'right one' floating around out there waiting in the cosmos for the other 'right one' to crash and connect. There may be 'better ones'; there may be 'more easily compatible' or something or other. But the real story is you start becoming the right one the moment you vow that "you do". When I married, I had been 20 for a whole 33 days, we had just completed a 2-year long-distance realtionship and HE was five years older tha

"Huncle" Dave

This guy's my uncle. He's 8 years older than me. With my dad being the oldest of 10 kids, my grandma still had kids at home by the time my dad was getting started with life. This guy was my hero when I was growing up--sort of the big brother role, but with a little more novelty than a constant bully and boss hanging around. He certainly did his share of bossing and bullying, but I took it all in stride since I thought he was an incredibly big deal. Since he was the youngest of 10 kids, but older than all the grandkids, he took full advantage and made the best of his position in life. One aspect of him being more 'mature and world-wise' was that he required treatment of proper respect and authority. Thus, I, and my cousins, were expected to boost his ego by calling him by his rightful name "Huncle". This classy moniker had the unique combination of the relationship (uncle) and his self-proclamation of him being a teenage 'hunk'. Since growing up,