Skip to main content

La Botique de Sally Anne

I have a secret that I don't share very often. I am a label snob. I have always liked brand-name clothing and for quite a bit of my adult life, I indulged. But 10 years ago, I found myself deciding to quit my full time job and stay home with my baby, and I became poor for a while. So my ingrained habit of buying 2 or 3 suits at Casual Corner then hitting Kauffman's for the next sale on Liz Claiborne had to be curbed. Eventually my craving got the best of me, and I was dragged by a friend into a place I would generally turn up my nose to. Once I gave it a chance, I found out that the Salvation Army is a wonderful place. I have another friend who accompanied once and she loved the experience, but admitting she shopped there was a bit too much for her, so she dubbed it "Sally Anne's" (the initials S.A.) After my first trip, I was hooked. I had found where all the people like me take their clothes. There are original owners who get too fat or too skinny for something, the ones who quit a job or start a new one and don't need their brand name togs anymore, the ones who need to get rid of some of their designer duds to make room for new ones, etc. I left my first shopping trip with literally bag loads of amazing stuff. The biggest thrill came the first time I decided to actually admit where I'd gotten a particular peice of clothing and the person's jaw dropped. First because she couldn't believe such a find would be cast off at a thrift store and second because she knew me to be a mall rat and didn't dream I'd enter a thrift store. Once I became able to return to traditional shopping, I found I still got the urge to hit the thrift racks every once in a while and see what I can find. Today was such a day. For $66 dollars, I came home with 20 items, all in new condition, a couple with the original tags on them. I got: 3 pairs size 10/12 snowpants for the kids, Caroline a dress for Sunday and 2 shirts, Eric a flannel-lined pair of jeans and a shirt. For me - 5 pair of dress pants, 1 dressy skirt,1 pair casual pants, 4 shirts, 1 sweater and the fabulous find of the day - an Ann Taylor blazer. Other brands I bought today included Izod, Old Navy, Columbia, Geoffrey Beane, Talbots, Chadwicks and Rafaella. Since I'm very experienced in persuing this passion on the sly, I have a few tips for you in case you try it out for yourself.
1) Don't even try if you don't like to plow through racks of stuff, much of it junk. Yard sales are a good test. And in some stores, you do have to get used to the smell.
2) Go expecting to find nothing. Then if you hit the jackpot, you'll be thrilled.
3) Don't buy anything you wouldn't be ready to wear exactly the way it is (after washing, of course). That includes no stains (the original owner has already tried to get them out), alterations (unless you have a seamstress who knows your measurements already- you'll never get it altered) or any other fixer-uppers unless you already routinely sew on buttons, hem pants and fix torn seams. This rule also includes not buying anything that you have to lose 5 pounds to fit into. Otherwise next week you'll be re-donating the same items you generously bought the week before - they don't give refunds or store credit at these places.
4) Don't buy it if you wouldn't buy it at the mall. Even if it is a $75 shirt that is marked $2, you won't wear it if you don't like it.
5) Don't buy anything that has that "broken in" look. Go for "like-new, looks-unworn" only. If it appears already worn, whenever you go out in it, you'll wonder if people can tell where you got it, and you'll be too embarrassed to wear it anymore.
6) Stay away from anything black unless it pops out as the darkest black on the rack. Black doesn't fade to charcoal, it fades to light black so it looks already worn. Everybody will believe you when you tell them you got it at the thrift store. That goes for pills, fades or anything else that happens in daily wash 'n wear.
7) Stay away from sweaters. Almost always (except for the one I bought today), it has been shrunk by somebody's dryer, stretched out by somebody's washing machine, or it was in style in the 80s when the original owner bought it and they've just now gotten rid of it.
7) I'm sorry to say this, but you have to try every single thing on. If anything is wrong with it, you'll be able to tell why it was donated to the thrift store. Weird fit, hidden rips, strange stains and other things will show up when you try the item on. Be prepared for your hands to be a little grimy and to need a shower afterward. That's normal. But you can take care of that while you toss the first load of your haul into the wash.
8) Most thrift stores have one day a week where everything is on "sale". You can't imagine how I felt getting that Ann Taylor blazer for $4.50 instead of 9 bucks!

If you try it and decide it's not for you, that's okay--it's more for me!

Comments

Anonymous said…
I just loved this article. I used to make my way to goodwill back in the days I lived in FL. I love those kinds of trips and now you have me wanting to take this sport up again. I will have to definitely make a plan and visit my nearest "La Boutique de Sally Anne!" I'm so stoked!

- Debbie
Anonymous said…
I did shop at SA one time, I was a teenager and bought a skirt (size 6!!, where did those days go??). I haven't shopped there since, but donate constantly! I have in the past bought many name brand (Osh Gosh, Columbia, Levi, etc.) clothing at garage sales and do not see a difference! WOW, I have to try it sometime. I have donated great items, from old purses, shoes, pants, shirts, etc and they were in great condition so I see where you would find some great stuff!
You are a great shopper Jenn!
~Sue

Popular posts from this blog

Little Chic's New Do

I have been bugging Little Chic to cut her waist-length hair for a long time. She did take about 4 inches off it about two months ago, and ever since, has been toying with the idea of something drastic and cool. Today was the day! I love it, but it's a little sad too--seeing how it makes her look all mature and teenager-ish.

Stickin' It Out

I got married today. Well, not exactly today. It was Friday, June 2. But the year was 1989 - 17 years ago. "Amazing", people say. "Good for you", they comment. "You must have picked the right one", the add. Amazing? Yes. Good for me? I'll admit it. But it has nothing to do with picking the right one, really. It's not because I found the perfect boy, and it's certainly not because he found the perfect girl. It might sound a little unromantic, but there never really is a 'right one' floating around out there waiting in the cosmos for the other 'right one' to crash and connect. There may be 'better ones'; there may be 'more easily compatible' or something or other. But the real story is you start becoming the right one the moment you vow that "you do". When I married, I had been 20 for a whole 33 days, we had just completed a 2-year long-distance realtionship and HE was five years older tha

"Huncle" Dave

This guy's my uncle. He's 8 years older than me. With my dad being the oldest of 10 kids, my grandma still had kids at home by the time my dad was getting started with life. This guy was my hero when I was growing up--sort of the big brother role, but with a little more novelty than a constant bully and boss hanging around. He certainly did his share of bossing and bullying, but I took it all in stride since I thought he was an incredibly big deal. Since he was the youngest of 10 kids, but older than all the grandkids, he took full advantage and made the best of his position in life. One aspect of him being more 'mature and world-wise' was that he required treatment of proper respect and authority. Thus, I, and my cousins, were expected to boost his ego by calling him by his rightful name "Huncle". This classy moniker had the unique combination of the relationship (uncle) and his self-proclamation of him being a teenage 'hunk'. Since growing up,