Skip to main content

I was Hijacked!

I was hijacked yesterday. Not my person, not my car, but my computer. It was someone I knew. That's why it hurt so much. The hijacker was John. John has his own computer. Several of them in fact. One sits directly behind mine. It even has its own computer desk and chair. He has a laptop that he can use from work. And another laptop he can use from the fire department. Hey, he can even go over the hill to the fire department and find a couple more, but he insists on using mine. Mine is nothing special. It was a $400 Walmart deal, but it is free of computer games and all the other bogger-down stuff that John's computer has on it. And it is several years newer. Mine also has an ergonomic keyboard that he hates, but he persists in trying to take it over anyway. This is a problem to me because the first thing I do after my kids are out of the house (after I read my Bible) is to check my email. When I get out of the shower, I check it again. So it goes every hour or so that I'm home, just in case somebody sends me a message of utmost importance that will change the direction of my world. That doesn't count the websites and blogs I monitor, the daily TV schedule I check online so I can see which reality show I'll be watching and the myriad of other things I get the whim to research. In addition, mine is loaded with the software needed for my medical transcription, so it is the only computer that I can work on. And still he sneaks into the seat before I can.

Yesterday he declared "tax day". This was the day he designated that he would have our taxes completed and filed online by sundown. The problem was that I accompanied him on a bunch of errands he had to do, we ate breakfast out together and I missed what would have been my only chance of the day to get a fix of world-wide-webbiness. Once we got home, John sat at my computer desk and reached over to cover his own keyboard and desk with all the necessary paperwork. I said I needed to check email. He said he was keeping us out of jail by filing our taxes on time. I said I needed to work. He said I could--after he was done. That ended up being way after sundown, way after I'd already gotten engrossed in American Idol and then the Amazing Race. By the time he finished, I had lost my inspiration at all the bloggy wit that I had intended to post. So here I am, losing my record of posting every single day, thrilling my readers with the excitement of a household filled with a stay-at-home-mom-wannabe reality TV star, a 9-year-old genius, an 8-year-old aspiring singer/actress/sports star of some kind/veterinarian and my third kid, the 41-year-old.

Walmart really needs to run a smiley-face special so I can get his favorite computer a twin sister.

Comments

Anonymous said…
You tell John his cousin Mary Ellen said quit being a computer hog!

And also tell him taxes aren't due until April 15th and it's only March 8th so no one will be going to jail.

What happened to your Mom, she quit blogging!
Anonymous said…
I for one am quite disappointed if I don't get to read your daily blog. I'm getting quite addicted to it. I should have given that up for Lent :) abb
Anonymous said…
Sigh... Finally we get to hear from Jen! It's so good to see that you are still around. I truly begin to wonder if you have forsaken us after not seeing you for a day. Boy, I never have that problem and don't know what I would do in the event Bobby took over my computer. I'm really glad the King sits in his chair and I sit in mine.

- Debbie Stewart

Popular posts from this blog

Little Chic's New Do

I have been bugging Little Chic to cut her waist-length hair for a long time. She did take about 4 inches off it about two months ago, and ever since, has been toying with the idea of something drastic and cool. Today was the day! I love it, but it's a little sad too--seeing how it makes her look all mature and teenager-ish.

Stickin' It Out

I got married today. Well, not exactly today. It was Friday, June 2. But the year was 1989 - 17 years ago. "Amazing", people say. "Good for you", they comment. "You must have picked the right one", the add. Amazing? Yes. Good for me? I'll admit it. But it has nothing to do with picking the right one, really. It's not because I found the perfect boy, and it's certainly not because he found the perfect girl. It might sound a little unromantic, but there never really is a 'right one' floating around out there waiting in the cosmos for the other 'right one' to crash and connect. There may be 'better ones'; there may be 'more easily compatible' or something or other. But the real story is you start becoming the right one the moment you vow that "you do". When I married, I had been 20 for a whole 33 days, we had just completed a 2-year long-distance realtionship and HE was five years older tha

"Huncle" Dave

This guy's my uncle. He's 8 years older than me. With my dad being the oldest of 10 kids, my grandma still had kids at home by the time my dad was getting started with life. This guy was my hero when I was growing up--sort of the big brother role, but with a little more novelty than a constant bully and boss hanging around. He certainly did his share of bossing and bullying, but I took it all in stride since I thought he was an incredibly big deal. Since he was the youngest of 10 kids, but older than all the grandkids, he took full advantage and made the best of his position in life. One aspect of him being more 'mature and world-wise' was that he required treatment of proper respect and authority. Thus, I, and my cousins, were expected to boost his ego by calling him by his rightful name "Huncle". This classy moniker had the unique combination of the relationship (uncle) and his self-proclamation of him being a teenage 'hunk'. Since growing up,