Skip to main content

Lost & Not Found

Little Chic had a half-day of school today for parent teacher conferences, but since Brainy Boy is classified as middle school, he had to go the full day. This is a new occurrence this year, and one that Brainy Boy isn't taking to so much. Little Chic and I decided to take advantage of the rare few hours together so we had lunch and then made a run to Walmart supplies for an upcoming school project.

Little Chic decided to take along her purse, containing a hard-earned $24 that she has been saving. She had her eye on some new Webkinz, so she decided this was the day to shop. We made a stop in to Hallmark and picked up one stuffed animal, then headed on to Walmart for the school supplies. Like many 10-year-olds, Little Chic is not always the most organized, and she plopped her purse, containing her remaining $14 in the cart beside mine. As luck would have it, when I emptied the cart and returned it to the cart park, I didn't realize her purse was still in the shopping cart. We were on our way to the second Webkinz stop when she realized it was missing. We swung back around to Walmart and the parking lot, but cart guys were already wheeling the carts inside. We looked in all we could find with no luck. We took a run into the Customer Service counter, but at that point, nobody had turned in the purse.

The purse is a favorite of hers as Muh Main Man bought it for her after a long-ago business trip, so she was more upset about the purse than the money. That and the fact that I had pity on her and took some of the blame. So I replaced the $14. I'm a sucker like that.

Anyway, we imagined that maybe the money will go into the hands of somebody who really needs it and maybe it's God's way of blessing somebody who's hungry. Although admittedly they'd have to steal it to get the blessing. So it probably doesn't count. But we won't talk about that.

Anyway, we'd really like the purse back, even if it's empty. Here's hoping...

Comments

Unknown said…
Ugh, I feel so bad for Little Chic.

I like your new pic!
Rochelle said…
Ouch! That hurts!! I remember doing a similar thing at her age & guess what? It never happened again!
Melanie said…
I feel so sad for Little Chic.

I always think about stealing the same way. I tell myself that they must need it a lot more than me if they have to steal to get it.

Hope she gets her purse back.
Laura said…
I hope the purse turns up...you never know...a hard lesson though! Poor little gal!
Anonymous said…
I've been known to leave a $15 bag of dog food in the bottom of my cart.....but I've NEVER forgotten my purse.
Amy B. said…
I have stopped letting Brooke take anything to church that is not attached to her body. We always leave something and in a church our size it is just too hard to find!
tim said…
I'm thinking that the "thief" had small children and a kitten who would not have had money for food except for the special purse that a little angel left for them.

Popular posts from this blog

Little Chic's New Do

I have been bugging Little Chic to cut her waist-length hair for a long time. She did take about 4 inches off it about two months ago, and ever since, has been toying with the idea of something drastic and cool. Today was the day! I love it, but it's a little sad too--seeing how it makes her look all mature and teenager-ish.

Stickin' It Out

I got married today. Well, not exactly today. It was Friday, June 2. But the year was 1989 - 17 years ago. "Amazing", people say. "Good for you", they comment. "You must have picked the right one", the add. Amazing? Yes. Good for me? I'll admit it. But it has nothing to do with picking the right one, really. It's not because I found the perfect boy, and it's certainly not because he found the perfect girl. It might sound a little unromantic, but there never really is a 'right one' floating around out there waiting in the cosmos for the other 'right one' to crash and connect. There may be 'better ones'; there may be 'more easily compatible' or something or other. But the real story is you start becoming the right one the moment you vow that "you do". When I married, I had been 20 for a whole 33 days, we had just completed a 2-year long-distance realtionship and HE was five years older tha

"Huncle" Dave

This guy's my uncle. He's 8 years older than me. With my dad being the oldest of 10 kids, my grandma still had kids at home by the time my dad was getting started with life. This guy was my hero when I was growing up--sort of the big brother role, but with a little more novelty than a constant bully and boss hanging around. He certainly did his share of bossing and bullying, but I took it all in stride since I thought he was an incredibly big deal. Since he was the youngest of 10 kids, but older than all the grandkids, he took full advantage and made the best of his position in life. One aspect of him being more 'mature and world-wise' was that he required treatment of proper respect and authority. Thus, I, and my cousins, were expected to boost his ego by calling him by his rightful name "Huncle". This classy moniker had the unique combination of the relationship (uncle) and his self-proclamation of him being a teenage 'hunk'. Since growing up,