Skip to main content

CAUGHT in the Act!!

I've already tired of the role of Candy Police in the aftermath of Halloween and frankly, it's just become easier to eat the loot myself rather than to continually monitor the intake of the Short People. I was trying to be as inconspicuous as possible and my sneaking was advancing tolerably well. It became more difficult once I made Little Chic sort through and discard anything she didn't like. What was I thinking?! Add to that fact that we both like the same things, and it's become Mission Impossible, People.

So I was rummaging through her bag the other day before she got home from school, looking for something that I like that she wouldn't miss immediately. There was nothing in that category. My next step was to look for something that she really shouldn't have anyway. I settled for the regular-sized bag of M&Ms and left the more appropriate-sized mini bag for her. I devoured the thing and promptly forgot all about it. That night after dinner, we all heard a wail coming from the vicinity of the Halloween candy bag. Little Chic was furiously upset that Somebody had eaten the full-sized bag of M&Ms that she was intentionally saving for Just. This. Moment. The worst part about it was that all of us were assembled together in full view of the guilty party. Brainy Boy was sitting there looking all bewildered and innocent-like. Muh Main Man was sitting there, half wondering if it was DogSpot since it surely couldn't be ME since I'm on the last leg of a quest to lose a few more pounds before Thanksgiving. I was sitting there wondering how I was going to bluff my way out of this one. In the end, there was just no bluffing to be done. And I'm usually a champion bluffer. I came clean, admitted that I ate them and promised to immediately buy her another package. It worked out well that I was heading for the drug store at that moment to pick up a prescription. Otherwise I would have been heading there just for the candy.

I dashed to the store, and inadvertently picked up the new Ogre-sized M&Ms to replace the ones I had eaten. Now, why couldn't the ones in the Halloween bag have been Ogre-sized to make all my shame and humiliation a little more worth it ?!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Thank goodness my boys don't like ALmond Joys...that is all they would let me have!

~Sue
Unknown said…
Well this gave me one really big laugh. Well told from the horse's mouth! P.S. I KNOW I would have done the same thing too! (smile)
Anonymous said…
What a great post! Thanks for the laugh!
Patriot said…
CONGRATULATIONS!!! You won the giveaway on my site! Please email me at madeinusa@fastmail.fm and I will send you the contact information for Channel Craft.

Thanks! Please help spread the word!
Melanie said…
Well, since we took Hailey trick-or-treating and she's a bit young for candy- I guess you know who has been eating all of her candy. Not good for my diet.

Popular posts from this blog

Little Chic's New Do

I have been bugging Little Chic to cut her waist-length hair for a long time. She did take about 4 inches off it about two months ago, and ever since, has been toying with the idea of something drastic and cool. Today was the day! I love it, but it's a little sad too--seeing how it makes her look all mature and teenager-ish.

"Huncle" Dave

This guy's my uncle. He's 8 years older than me. With my dad being the oldest of 10 kids, my grandma still had kids at home by the time my dad was getting started with life. This guy was my hero when I was growing up--sort of the big brother role, but with a little more novelty than a constant bully and boss hanging around. He certainly did his share of bossing and bullying, but I took it all in stride since I thought he was an incredibly big deal. Since he was the youngest of 10 kids, but older than all the grandkids, he took full advantage and made the best of his position in life. One aspect of him being more 'mature and world-wise' was that he required treatment of proper respect and authority. Thus, I, and my cousins, were expected to boost his ego by calling him by his rightful name "Huncle". This classy moniker had the unique combination of the relationship (uncle) and his self-proclamation of him being a teenage 'hunk'. Since growing up,

Stickin' It Out

I got married today. Well, not exactly today. It was Friday, June 2. But the year was 1989 - 17 years ago. "Amazing", people say. "Good for you", they comment. "You must have picked the right one", the add. Amazing? Yes. Good for me? I'll admit it. But it has nothing to do with picking the right one, really. It's not because I found the perfect boy, and it's certainly not because he found the perfect girl. It might sound a little unromantic, but there never really is a 'right one' floating around out there waiting in the cosmos for the other 'right one' to crash and connect. There may be 'better ones'; there may be 'more easily compatible' or something or other. But the real story is you start becoming the right one the moment you vow that "you do". When I married, I had been 20 for a whole 33 days, we had just completed a 2-year long-distance realtionship and HE was five years older tha