Skip to main content

Premium Sludge

I had such high hopes for today. After an appointment for some less-than-pleasant female maintenance, I drove myself over to Barnes & Noble for my 2 favorite things in one place. Now I love the library and all, but what really gets me going is when I get me some books along with some lah-tay. Starbucks, that is.

Now that fall has finally arrived, they have my third favorite flavor...that would be Pumpkin Spice Latte. Tall, nonfat, no whip. That's the way, uh-huh, uh-huh, I like it, uh-huh. You get the idea. What about my first and second favorites, you ask? Well, my first fav (cinnamon dolce) has gone the way of all favorite things and has been discontinued. I was devastated to be sure. But then I discovered the gingerbread latte and got happy again. #2 won't be out until deeper into the holiday season. Apparently the fact that Christmas trees are already for sale does not influence the barista's ordering habits. But, I digress.

I plopped my books on the counter and optimistically ordered my drink. I was even happy as I plunked down $3.50 and I thanked the guy when he handed me my steaming cup. I took a swig or two and didn't really notice anything out of the ordinary but once I had gotten into my car and fully integrated into traffic, I splashed a drop on my hand. And Bloggies, it was orange. Now don't get me wrong. I realize that pumpkin is orange. Even the spices that go into the "spice" part are probably orange. But I've ordered this drink lots of times. It has always been brown. Like a latte. Not orange. And from then on, it just didn't taste right. And I haven't been right all afternoon. The more I think about it, they probably gave me a steamer, which is the milk and the flavor without the espresso. And we all know, that just won't do.

Comments

Mary Ellen said…
Thought you would find it interesting that Travis Shillington is now an employee at Starbucks - and he's really enjoying it.

Sorry your day started out on the orange side of life!
Melanie said…
Ewwww- I wouldn't have been able to drink anymore after that.

My favorite drink from Starbucks was a Mocha Coconut Frappuccino- but of course I say "was" because they discontinued it. That was a few years ago and I have never found anything I like as much as I liked that.

Oh my goodness- I just realized it's been almost 2 years since I've had a drink from Starbucks- I gave it up when I got pregnant and haven't had any since because I'm still breastfeeding.
Rochelle said…
ugh...what a complete disappointment! :(
Unknown said…
Ugh! Going without the real deal would surely throw a wrench into my day too!
I have a Starbucks rut - tall mocha, real milk. I had the Pumpkin Spice once last year, but it was too out there for me! I'm pretty straight-laced when it comes to coffee, I guess!
Stephen Ley said…
Dunkin' Donuts has a Pumpkin Latte you may want to try. We had one yesterday...delicious.
Anonymous said…
you know way too much about coffee drinks...
JenLo said…
My secret dream job is to work at Starbucks ;)
Anonymous said…
I would LOVE to work at Starbucks too!

My favorite is a Grande sized, skinny (nonfat) white chocolate mocha, no whip.

When we went to NYC last December and went to Starbucks in the Trump Tower, you bet I went straight for the FATTENING white chocolate mocha with LOTS OF WHIP! OH, btw the whip is light, so ONCE in awhile I treat myself LOL!

Tried the Pumpkin and did not care for it, but try it at the Target Starbucks. I swear they make my drink the best!!!

~Sue
Amy B. said…
Cinnamon Dolce was my favorite - I didn't realize it had been discontinued. I'll have to lodge a complaint. I also got a Pumpkin Spice the other day and it was so orange I was sure I'd be peeing orange. Kind of like when the kids eat cookies frosted with food coloring they poop green or purple.
Anonymous said…
Funny- I left Owego and moved, and found the cinnamon dolce had followed me. So sorry I stole your dolce.

Popular posts from this blog

Little Chic's New Do

I have been bugging Little Chic to cut her waist-length hair for a long time. She did take about 4 inches off it about two months ago, and ever since, has been toying with the idea of something drastic and cool. Today was the day! I love it, but it's a little sad too--seeing how it makes her look all mature and teenager-ish.

"Huncle" Dave

This guy's my uncle. He's 8 years older than me. With my dad being the oldest of 10 kids, my grandma still had kids at home by the time my dad was getting started with life. This guy was my hero when I was growing up--sort of the big brother role, but with a little more novelty than a constant bully and boss hanging around. He certainly did his share of bossing and bullying, but I took it all in stride since I thought he was an incredibly big deal. Since he was the youngest of 10 kids, but older than all the grandkids, he took full advantage and made the best of his position in life. One aspect of him being more 'mature and world-wise' was that he required treatment of proper respect and authority. Thus, I, and my cousins, were expected to boost his ego by calling him by his rightful name "Huncle". This classy moniker had the unique combination of the relationship (uncle) and his self-proclamation of him being a teenage 'hunk'. Since growing up,

Stickin' It Out

I got married today. Well, not exactly today. It was Friday, June 2. But the year was 1989 - 17 years ago. "Amazing", people say. "Good for you", they comment. "You must have picked the right one", the add. Amazing? Yes. Good for me? I'll admit it. But it has nothing to do with picking the right one, really. It's not because I found the perfect boy, and it's certainly not because he found the perfect girl. It might sound a little unromantic, but there never really is a 'right one' floating around out there waiting in the cosmos for the other 'right one' to crash and connect. There may be 'better ones'; there may be 'more easily compatible' or something or other. But the real story is you start becoming the right one the moment you vow that "you do". When I married, I had been 20 for a whole 33 days, we had just completed a 2-year long-distance realtionship and HE was five years older tha