Skip to main content

Home, Hectic Home

You know how it feels to come home to a nice clean house all refreshed from vacation, ready to get back in the groove? Good, because I don't either. Due to the mayhem caused by my lemon of a van last week, it was a whirlwind getting out of here Saturday morning on our camping trip. Frankly, I was glad to leave my messy house behind. We pulled in last night, lurched into the driveway, and I was greeted with the pleasant sight of my new Explorer. That's where the nice ended.

While camping, we got the thrilling news that company was coming a week early. Now don't get me wrong...I love my in-laws and am very happy they are coming. It always means lots of fun for us and the kids (and lots of free dinners out!) BUT, the urge to impress just doesn't get fulfilled when I have a 24-hour window to clean up a week's worth of untidiness and another week's worth of camping gear and dirty laundry.

Add on to the excitement of getting home with the other nice discovery that a bat was in the house. I am telling people that it came in while we are unpacking. I am denying the possibility that it had been in for any time while we were away. I do not see bat droppings anywhere, but MonsterPaw (the cat) seemed quite comfortable with jumping five feet in the air to catch the thing. She wasn't successful, but she was looking like she'd had some practice. I was afeared that MonsterPaw was overdue for her rabies shot, but apparently I was on the ball and she's up to date.

Muh Main Man went back to his old trick of breaking out the BB gun to hunt the critter, without luck. The bat found a teensy crack in the top of our stone fireplace, and I'm fooling myself into thinking it sneaked back outside. I don't even know if you can get outside from that route.

We all slept in the master bedroom with the door closed, all except for DogSpot who came home with a case of .... we'll just say, stomach problems. I believe it is from all the cigarette butts she ate while digging to China at our campsite. Her rabies shots are up to date so I felt fairly comfortable leaving her to fend for herself in her crate.

I'm off to impress the ma-in-law, so Ta-Ta for now!

Comments

Anonymous said…
That is tooooo funny! I'm sure my granddaughter and nephew in the other room wonder what I am laughing at!! (It was a real LOL post!!)
Unknown said…
Oh my silly bone still has the giggles. I kept giggling aloud while reading through this post.

Popular posts from this blog

Little Chic's New Do

I have been bugging Little Chic to cut her waist-length hair for a long time. She did take about 4 inches off it about two months ago, and ever since, has been toying with the idea of something drastic and cool. Today was the day! I love it, but it's a little sad too--seeing how it makes her look all mature and teenager-ish.

Stickin' It Out

I got married today. Well, not exactly today. It was Friday, June 2. But the year was 1989 - 17 years ago. "Amazing", people say. "Good for you", they comment. "You must have picked the right one", the add. Amazing? Yes. Good for me? I'll admit it. But it has nothing to do with picking the right one, really. It's not because I found the perfect boy, and it's certainly not because he found the perfect girl. It might sound a little unromantic, but there never really is a 'right one' floating around out there waiting in the cosmos for the other 'right one' to crash and connect. There may be 'better ones'; there may be 'more easily compatible' or something or other. But the real story is you start becoming the right one the moment you vow that "you do". When I married, I had been 20 for a whole 33 days, we had just completed a 2-year long-distance realtionship and HE was five years older tha

"Huncle" Dave

This guy's my uncle. He's 8 years older than me. With my dad being the oldest of 10 kids, my grandma still had kids at home by the time my dad was getting started with life. This guy was my hero when I was growing up--sort of the big brother role, but with a little more novelty than a constant bully and boss hanging around. He certainly did his share of bossing and bullying, but I took it all in stride since I thought he was an incredibly big deal. Since he was the youngest of 10 kids, but older than all the grandkids, he took full advantage and made the best of his position in life. One aspect of him being more 'mature and world-wise' was that he required treatment of proper respect and authority. Thus, I, and my cousins, were expected to boost his ego by calling him by his rightful name "Huncle". This classy moniker had the unique combination of the relationship (uncle) and his self-proclamation of him being a teenage 'hunk'. Since growing up,