Sunday, July 1

Accentuated

We hosted a visiting minister for dinner today. He is filling in for about 10 weeks during our pastor's sabbatical. Brainy Boy was particularly interested in these guests because the minister and his wife had their eight-year-old grandson along. The point of interest was that the boy was from Canada. Upon learning this juicy tidbit, Brainy Boy said that he had always wanted to hear how a Canadian talks. I pointed out that since Canada borders the US (and particularly our state) that he probably wouldn't speak that differently from us. Well, Mr. Know-It-All would have none of it. He filled me in on what EVERYBODY knows -"Well, everybody knows that foreigners have an accent. Even Japanese people have a really unusual accent."

6 of Your THINKS:

Rochelle said...

Our minister is on sabbabitcal too! He left yesterday w/ his wife in a convertible for 4 weeks of hiking & backpacking. (I want a sabbatical too!!) :)

Rochelle said...

Ooops...1st I need to learn to SPELL 'sabbatical' before I hopes of them sending me on one, right?

Thad said...

I had a friend from Ontario when I was in High school. He definitely had an accent. Plus, they say things like, "eh".

Debbie said...

Oh how funny is that! That last line had me laughing hysterically.

Melanie said...

That is hilarious! Did Brainy Boy find that Canadians have a little bit of an accent? I've had some Canadian friends who had a bit of an accent.

Anonymous said...

Thad typed what I was going to say, except that our own Friend, Marianne, says "EH" CONSTANTLY and her family is from Canada!

~Sue