Skip to main content

Revolving Door

This week has proved to be a revolving door at our house due to the fact that Easter break combined with immobility is causing the days to drag on a bit. Grandma left on Tuesday and the kiddos have had friends over Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. Little Chic also tried her hand at a splatter paint workshop put on by our local paint-your-own-pottery place in town and they've had a couple of meetings with their Destination Imagination team since the competition day is rapidly approaching.

Needless to say, I've not gotten much marked off my To-Do list which is always a cause of consternation for me, but the flurry of taxiing small people to and fro, providing an assortment of snacks and generally overseeing the fun has been worthwhile nonetheless.

All the visitors were duly impressed with Brainy Boy's prowess at navigating and manipulating his wheelchair around and all were a bit disappointed that he didn't need their pushing power to help get him where he was going. It seems to be the goal of every kid who comes to visit to try their hand at pushing an occupied wheelchair but Brainy Boy prefers to provide his own power.

We end the week with softball practice for Little Chic as well as helping Muh Main Man get ready for an out-of-town trip. It's going to be interesting not having him here for the final days of Brainy Boy's encasement, but I've managed during the workday, so I'm sure I'll survive. It will be an interesting excursion into the doctor's office on Wednesday to get the casts off, but dad will just have to see Brainy Boy's new feet when he gets back in town.

Here's hoping that all you readers are in a much more balmy, spring-like environment than we are around here. We are expecting our last Hoorah! of winter this weekend with a storm bringing snow and sleet. And if you've never tried it, it is impossible to stretch any type of socks over the exposed toes of a kid wearing casts! So Brainy Boy's toes are going to be freezing...

Comments

Melanie said…
Sounds like an interesting week at your house! I sure do hope this is the last Hoorah of winter this weekend. Ya just never know here in NY!!
Unknown said…
Everyone certainly has quite the schedule at your house. Happy Weekend!
Kris Bordessa said…
Good luck with DI! I know how frantic the weeks leading up to competition can be.

Popular posts from this blog

Little Chic's New Do

I have been bugging Little Chic to cut her waist-length hair for a long time. She did take about 4 inches off it about two months ago, and ever since, has been toying with the idea of something drastic and cool. Today was the day! I love it, but it's a little sad too--seeing how it makes her look all mature and teenager-ish.

Stickin' It Out

I got married today. Well, not exactly today. It was Friday, June 2. But the year was 1989 - 17 years ago. "Amazing", people say. "Good for you", they comment. "You must have picked the right one", the add. Amazing? Yes. Good for me? I'll admit it. But it has nothing to do with picking the right one, really. It's not because I found the perfect boy, and it's certainly not because he found the perfect girl. It might sound a little unromantic, but there never really is a 'right one' floating around out there waiting in the cosmos for the other 'right one' to crash and connect. There may be 'better ones'; there may be 'more easily compatible' or something or other. But the real story is you start becoming the right one the moment you vow that "you do". When I married, I had been 20 for a whole 33 days, we had just completed a 2-year long-distance realtionship and HE was five years older tha

"Huncle" Dave

This guy's my uncle. He's 8 years older than me. With my dad being the oldest of 10 kids, my grandma still had kids at home by the time my dad was getting started with life. This guy was my hero when I was growing up--sort of the big brother role, but with a little more novelty than a constant bully and boss hanging around. He certainly did his share of bossing and bullying, but I took it all in stride since I thought he was an incredibly big deal. Since he was the youngest of 10 kids, but older than all the grandkids, he took full advantage and made the best of his position in life. One aspect of him being more 'mature and world-wise' was that he required treatment of proper respect and authority. Thus, I, and my cousins, were expected to boost his ego by calling him by his rightful name "Huncle". This classy moniker had the unique combination of the relationship (uncle) and his self-proclamation of him being a teenage 'hunk'. Since growing up,