Skip to main content

No News is Not Always Good News

Muh Main Man has hit a new stage of life in being a frugal consumer. He's generally not the big spender of the household, but only because his many interests keep him far too busy. For the most part, I get the responsibility of doing the household shopping, and thus, the blame for going over budget when it happens. As the leader of our recent financial class at church though, we both have had a renewed determination to adhere to our handy-dandy cash flow spending plan. To meet that goal, we've each been supportive as well as a bit hawk-like in watching one another.

With our recent mailbox demolition, we held out as long as we could for the county to replace our box but they never did. Finally the inconvenience drove us over to Lowe's to buy the cheapest, plainest mailbox on the market (the one that was demolished was an attractive, deluxe-style mailbox). Muh Main Man finally got the thing up though it took some real muscle power to pound the stake into the frozen ground. After 3 days of not getting our paper, we realized that the new mailbox doesn't have a paper slot. I attempted to send Muh Main Man back to the hardware store to get the box for the paper and he shocked me by saying that he didn't want to spend the money on a paper box and he was recycling the paper before reading it most days anyway. He said, "Just cancel the paper, Babe. I'll buy it at work if I want it. And put the extra money in your Spending envelope."

What a generous guy. And what am I gonna do with all that extra money ? A whole $17.33 a month?! And who is this guy who is more concerned with a couple bucks than a little convenience? I know.....must be that Hero Guy has sneaked back in the house.

Comments

Truckin Teeds said…
Glad I found your blog. I've heard a lot about it! I look forward to checking in often. :)
Mary Ellen said…
OR it could be that he didn't want to have to pound another mailbox into the frozen ground!! But your idea is much more romantic..."-)
Unknown said…
Nice guy! With $17.33 a month, you could purchase a great magazine subscription, hey, beats the paper. Maybe you could even join a book club. I know you could find some great reading material with all that cash.

Popular posts from this blog

Little Chic's New Do

I have been bugging Little Chic to cut her waist-length hair for a long time. She did take about 4 inches off it about two months ago, and ever since, has been toying with the idea of something drastic and cool. Today was the day! I love it, but it's a little sad too--seeing how it makes her look all mature and teenager-ish.

"Huncle" Dave

This guy's my uncle. He's 8 years older than me. With my dad being the oldest of 10 kids, my grandma still had kids at home by the time my dad was getting started with life. This guy was my hero when I was growing up--sort of the big brother role, but with a little more novelty than a constant bully and boss hanging around. He certainly did his share of bossing and bullying, but I took it all in stride since I thought he was an incredibly big deal. Since he was the youngest of 10 kids, but older than all the grandkids, he took full advantage and made the best of his position in life. One aspect of him being more 'mature and world-wise' was that he required treatment of proper respect and authority. Thus, I, and my cousins, were expected to boost his ego by calling him by his rightful name "Huncle". This classy moniker had the unique combination of the relationship (uncle) and his self-proclamation of him being a teenage 'hunk'. Since growing up,

Stickin' It Out

I got married today. Well, not exactly today. It was Friday, June 2. But the year was 1989 - 17 years ago. "Amazing", people say. "Good for you", they comment. "You must have picked the right one", the add. Amazing? Yes. Good for me? I'll admit it. But it has nothing to do with picking the right one, really. It's not because I found the perfect boy, and it's certainly not because he found the perfect girl. It might sound a little unromantic, but there never really is a 'right one' floating around out there waiting in the cosmos for the other 'right one' to crash and connect. There may be 'better ones'; there may be 'more easily compatible' or something or other. But the real story is you start becoming the right one the moment you vow that "you do". When I married, I had been 20 for a whole 33 days, we had just completed a 2-year long-distance realtionship and HE was five years older tha