Skip to main content

Bright Lights, Big City

The trip to the Big Apple was exciting as could be expected. 5:30 am came much earlier than expected being the morning glory I am not. I did chug an extra cup of coffee and that helped sustain me till we arrived for our 11am show. The Rockettes were pretty unbelievable and the live nativity at the closing scene was indescribable. It brought lots of the audience to tears. Some of the highlights were the Macy's famous Christmas window display, the gaggle of people waiting sale of the Wii at the Toys R Us in Times Square (the store that has a ferris wheel inside) and of course, the tree in the Rockefeller Center which was the #1 thing on my "To See" list.

Notably, I did very little shopping, and spent less than $50 (not counting the show tickets and the bus fare) which I have to say, I'm feeling quite smug about. But the hubub and atmosphere was worth the 4.5 hour drive and I'll probably be making the trek every Christmas from now on. The deli we found for lunch was also worth the drive but we'll have to see if I'm ever able to find it again. In the spirit of the season, we tracked down a street vendor selling roasted chestnuts which were a lot mushier than I remember them being. Not the favorite delicacy of the day, although I did eat about six of them before I decided this.

The only regret I had was not taking Little Chic along although she would have been the only minor in the group and she would have had to miss a day of school. But next year, she'll more than likely have one illegal absence from school in early December.

Hero Guy fared quite well playing Mr. Mom, only getting the kiddos to school 3 minutes late, locking them out of the house in 30-degree temps for about five minutes when they beat him home from school, and taking them to dinner and shopping rather than getting their homework done at a reasonable time. As a bonus, he got them to bed an hour late so they were still up to see me arrive home at 10pm! Believe me, the wee ones were in fine form when it was time to get up for school this morning.

In any event, we all fared well, I enjoyed my day, they enjoyed their prizes and now the Christmas season seems officially underway.

Comments

PandaMom said…
Sounds like a TOTAL blast to me!!! I have always wanted to visit NYC at Christmas or at least the fall. I am so happy that you finally posted a new pic of yourself. You are such a doll with that cute hair!
michele said…
Just stopped by to say congratulations on being a finalist in Weblog Awards!
Mary Ellen said…
Waaa, I can't see your pictures all of a sudden - just a box with a small square!!!!
Mommy Spice said…
Oh, I am so jealous. I want to see New York at this time. One of my "to do's" in life is see the Macy's Parade. I have a cousin who lives there, but we've only been to visit in the summer, which was still quite fun. Oh, and in response to your question on my blog...you can always use a gas stove to toast marshmallows. I've done it many times. I don't know about the fireplace.
Anonymous said…
Everything you described sounds breathtaking! Very nice pic too!
Rochelle said…
Sounds like you had a terrific time. I've always wanted to go around Christmas time....I'm sure it was incredible!
Anonymous said…
Okay so just typed ou this loooong messegae and signed in with the new beta and it disappeared! GRRR!

I am just sooo glad you had such a great time! I knew you would love it! When you take Little Chic, you have to go to the Sony Wonder Lab- totally rocks! It does require advance reservations- like weeks in advance, but it's free and fabulous! And Mars 2112! Totally fun kid place! There is a whole long list of awesome kidder-friendly places! I will hook you up, Girl!

Popular posts from this blog

Little Chic's New Do

I have been bugging Little Chic to cut her waist-length hair for a long time. She did take about 4 inches off it about two months ago, and ever since, has been toying with the idea of something drastic and cool. Today was the day! I love it, but it's a little sad too--seeing how it makes her look all mature and teenager-ish.

Stickin' It Out

I got married today. Well, not exactly today. It was Friday, June 2. But the year was 1989 - 17 years ago. "Amazing", people say. "Good for you", they comment. "You must have picked the right one", the add. Amazing? Yes. Good for me? I'll admit it. But it has nothing to do with picking the right one, really. It's not because I found the perfect boy, and it's certainly not because he found the perfect girl. It might sound a little unromantic, but there never really is a 'right one' floating around out there waiting in the cosmos for the other 'right one' to crash and connect. There may be 'better ones'; there may be 'more easily compatible' or something or other. But the real story is you start becoming the right one the moment you vow that "you do". When I married, I had been 20 for a whole 33 days, we had just completed a 2-year long-distance realtionship and HE was five years older tha

"Huncle" Dave

This guy's my uncle. He's 8 years older than me. With my dad being the oldest of 10 kids, my grandma still had kids at home by the time my dad was getting started with life. This guy was my hero when I was growing up--sort of the big brother role, but with a little more novelty than a constant bully and boss hanging around. He certainly did his share of bossing and bullying, but I took it all in stride since I thought he was an incredibly big deal. Since he was the youngest of 10 kids, but older than all the grandkids, he took full advantage and made the best of his position in life. One aspect of him being more 'mature and world-wise' was that he required treatment of proper respect and authority. Thus, I, and my cousins, were expected to boost his ego by calling him by his rightful name "Huncle". This classy moniker had the unique combination of the relationship (uncle) and his self-proclamation of him being a teenage 'hunk'. Since growing up,