Skip to main content

In Hot Pursuit

Little Chic is not the traditional dolly-loving, toy-toting kind of girly-girl. She is more likely to be found designing some type of wardrobe out of scarves and plastic Walmart bags or singing in her room to her karoke machine with her plug-in disco ball rolling. She does, however have a soft spot for cats. Real ones. Stuffed ones. Plastic ones. Large ones. Small ones. What's more, she has always had a lifelong ambition (okay, well for the last 6 of her 9 years anyway) to be a veterinarian. She has a deal with Best Friend Forever that BFF will open a pet rescue center and Little Chic will treat all the animals.

So when Hasbro came out with the Littlest Pet Shop series, Little Chic gravitated right toward all those thumb-sized kittens they carry. This particular toy hit upon two interests of Little Chic's - cats and collecting. She collects anything....everything from pretty rocks to store receipts. The fact that Littlest Pet Shop has some animals that they call "limited editions" makes them acceptable to her, even if they aren't cats, since she can "collect" them.

To put this in perspective, I am not the "run around driving yourself crazy to make your kids happy with something they want" kind of mom. What's more, I detest collections of any kind (well, except for books). But as a result of a collecting frenzy that was recently started with some birthday money that Little Chic has, we've been in hot pursuit of a particular horse that she declares is "very rare". I wouldn't even have entered into the frenzy at all, but Saturday night we were at the mall and I spied the coveted horse (only I didn't know it was coveted at that point.) I mentioned the horse to Little Chic, she seemed to turn up her nose at it, and we went on our way. Upon returning home, we opened the large poster showing the available figurines, and I nonchalantly pointed out the horse I'd seen. Horrified, Little Chic demanded to know why I hadn't told her I'd seen it. Being the good sport that I am, I offered to trot back to the mall on Monday while she was at school. As collecting luck would have it, the horse was long gone. Apparently there is more than one collector of this little item. I began to feel the adrenaline pumping with the promise of a contest - kind of like Amazing Race: LPS Version. The nice clerk told me that shipments come in every Wednesday and that I am welcome to call to see what they have. Game on.

It's Wednesday. As soon as Little Chic got home, we called K Bee Toys. Delivery truck hadn't arrived yet. Nice Clerk offered to call me when it came in. Two hours later, Nice Clerk called declaring that the truck arrived, and that a single pony was in the shipment. I asked if she was allowed to hold it. She was. Dinner is over and now we are just waiting for Brainy Boy to finish his homework (we're trying not to breathe down his neck) so we can win the prize....I mean, buy the toy. Frankly, it does seem like it would be a lot easier to order it online, but it wouldn't be half the fun. Plus, the mall is halfway to Coldstone Creamery....

Comments

Anonymous said…
So?!?!?! Did ya get it?!?!?!

Next time do the post AFTER we know the end result, what are you trying to do to us, make all of us spend a sleepless night worrying that poor Caroline didn't get the prized horse???? Sheesh!!!

http://360.yahoo.com/maryellenhuff
Just Me said…
Isn't it hilarious to when we get the 'bug'?!! I mean, I'm reading your post and I'm thinking.."Ya you go girl - GAME ON!"...And all for a little horse - and you, not into collecting things! Too funny! What we do for our kids! ( I should know..I'm not an animal person, but my house is full of them!)
Unknown said…
This one had me going and glad the lady held the horse for you.

Popular posts from this blog

Little Chic's New Do

I have been bugging Little Chic to cut her waist-length hair for a long time. She did take about 4 inches off it about two months ago, and ever since, has been toying with the idea of something drastic and cool. Today was the day! I love it, but it's a little sad too--seeing how it makes her look all mature and teenager-ish.

Stickin' It Out

I got married today. Well, not exactly today. It was Friday, June 2. But the year was 1989 - 17 years ago. "Amazing", people say. "Good for you", they comment. "You must have picked the right one", the add. Amazing? Yes. Good for me? I'll admit it. But it has nothing to do with picking the right one, really. It's not because I found the perfect boy, and it's certainly not because he found the perfect girl. It might sound a little unromantic, but there never really is a 'right one' floating around out there waiting in the cosmos for the other 'right one' to crash and connect. There may be 'better ones'; there may be 'more easily compatible' or something or other. But the real story is you start becoming the right one the moment you vow that "you do". When I married, I had been 20 for a whole 33 days, we had just completed a 2-year long-distance realtionship and HE was five years older tha

"Huncle" Dave

This guy's my uncle. He's 8 years older than me. With my dad being the oldest of 10 kids, my grandma still had kids at home by the time my dad was getting started with life. This guy was my hero when I was growing up--sort of the big brother role, but with a little more novelty than a constant bully and boss hanging around. He certainly did his share of bossing and bullying, but I took it all in stride since I thought he was an incredibly big deal. Since he was the youngest of 10 kids, but older than all the grandkids, he took full advantage and made the best of his position in life. One aspect of him being more 'mature and world-wise' was that he required treatment of proper respect and authority. Thus, I, and my cousins, were expected to boost his ego by calling him by his rightful name "Huncle". This classy moniker had the unique combination of the relationship (uncle) and his self-proclamation of him being a teenage 'hunk'. Since growing up,