Skip to main content

Who is This Woman? And Why is She Saying She's Me?

I'm scaring myself. I actually put my fall decorations up yesterday. Instead of blogging. And while I still have a cold. Scary, I know. First of all, I love decorations, but hate decorating, so how in the world do I even have decorations for that season? I usually tell myself that I'll put up fall stuff right after the kids start school, but I'm never really anxious for fall and so I generally put off any type of autumn look until at least the week of Thanksgiving. Then it's so late in the season I can just skip it and go right to the Christmas tree and I don't have to put a bunch of stuff away that's only been out for two months.

I would have taken a better photo to give the full effect of the whole room rather than just a snippet of what I did, but I was trying to "hide" the extra loveseat that is now sitting by the fireplace waiting for Hero Guy to help me haul it to the Unfinished Basement. I was on such a roll that I would have attempted to get it downstairs myself but I was sure I'd take out the door jambs and then there'd be yet another odd job to add to the list, so I refrained. You want to know how there is an "extra" love seat? While I was at it, I moved furniture too! You have no idea how amazing that is for me--I curb my boredom in other ways than moving furniture; once its there, it stays-for years. Actually it was a little self-serving because that thing would win an ugly contest and it's in terrible. I was going to send it to the same place I sent the stereo but Hero Guy still hasn't recovered from that discovery. Brainy Boy and Little Chic thought they'd walked into the wrong house after school, but Little Chic was perturbed that we're relocating her favorite TV-watching couch.

Oh, and no one needs to mention that decorating the feet of a coyote is a little like hanging a wreath on deer antlers--I fully realize that. But, hey, MY mantle has slowly gotten taken over by dead wildlife, so I pretty it up in protest. It hasn't changed anything, but it drives Hero Guy nuts!

Comments

Unknown said…
I love your decor. Maybe Hero Guy can pretend his wildlife are at one with nature with all your pretties such as the wreath's that were taken from nature anyway.
PandaMom said…
I am so proud of you getting into the fall spirit even though you'd still liike a bit more summer. I almost bought pumpkins today, but thought I could hold out another week or so. Hey, maybe that extra loveseat will be just the thing for your little piggie to cuddle up on....
Anonymous said…
Hey, you tell Johnny boy that any wife who lets him hang dead animals for decor in HER living room shouldn't complain if you hang wreaths all over that stuffed animal!!!! Seriously, what you did is very cute - I'd love to see a closeup picture of the mantel decor when the loveseat is out of your way. I am anxious to put out my Fall stuff but we've got to get the temps out of the 90's first!!

Popular posts from this blog

Little Chic's New Do

I have been bugging Little Chic to cut her waist-length hair for a long time. She did take about 4 inches off it about two months ago, and ever since, has been toying with the idea of something drastic and cool. Today was the day! I love it, but it's a little sad too--seeing how it makes her look all mature and teenager-ish.

"Huncle" Dave

This guy's my uncle. He's 8 years older than me. With my dad being the oldest of 10 kids, my grandma still had kids at home by the time my dad was getting started with life. This guy was my hero when I was growing up--sort of the big brother role, but with a little more novelty than a constant bully and boss hanging around. He certainly did his share of bossing and bullying, but I took it all in stride since I thought he was an incredibly big deal. Since he was the youngest of 10 kids, but older than all the grandkids, he took full advantage and made the best of his position in life. One aspect of him being more 'mature and world-wise' was that he required treatment of proper respect and authority. Thus, I, and my cousins, were expected to boost his ego by calling him by his rightful name "Huncle". This classy moniker had the unique combination of the relationship (uncle) and his self-proclamation of him being a teenage 'hunk'. Since growing up,

Stickin' It Out

I got married today. Well, not exactly today. It was Friday, June 2. But the year was 1989 - 17 years ago. "Amazing", people say. "Good for you", they comment. "You must have picked the right one", the add. Amazing? Yes. Good for me? I'll admit it. But it has nothing to do with picking the right one, really. It's not because I found the perfect boy, and it's certainly not because he found the perfect girl. It might sound a little unromantic, but there never really is a 'right one' floating around out there waiting in the cosmos for the other 'right one' to crash and connect. There may be 'better ones'; there may be 'more easily compatible' or something or other. But the real story is you start becoming the right one the moment you vow that "you do". When I married, I had been 20 for a whole 33 days, we had just completed a 2-year long-distance realtionship and HE was five years older tha