Skip to main content

Visiting Me


"Once in a while you have to take a break and visit yourself ." - Audrey Giorgi

I always considered myself a "people person". Being a loner-type was not an attractive quality to me. I thought that my happiest environment was to be surrounded by a multitude of friends or family or even people I didn't know--any living body would do, every waking moment of the day. I eagerly accepted party invitations, would show up at events even if I didn't know another soul and would quickly mingle with the crowd and make new acquaintances. I felt that I needed human interaction pretty much on a constant basis.

Once I had kids, I began to crave something different. Quiet, solitude and time outs became a staple of my daily time diet. Days where I had constant company, sweet little voices waking me up in the morning, accompanying me to the toilet, helping me grab the mail, contributing to my telephone conversations, clicking the "Reply" button over my shoulder while I checked email, rifling through the colored fliers before I had a chance to glance through the newspaper began to take a toll on me. I found that if I didn't have at least one short segment of time to be totally alone, even if it was just a trip down to the gas station to grab an extra gallon of milk, I'd get ugly.

In reflecting on this change of personality preference, I think I found the explanation. I made the comment once to Hero Guy that he took his free time for granted--a quiet lunch eaten at his desk, a 10-minute ride to work twice a day in which he was totally alone, an opportunity to use the bathroom without an audience. He looked at me as if I were crazy, stating that he eats his lunch at his desk when he is totally overwhelmed, they really don't have Take Your Child To Work option at his office, and he certainly isn't going to invite his boss along on his bathroom breaks. It's the perfect example of not appreciating things until we don't have them. I realized that when I loved being around people all the time, I also had more than enough alone time and then some to spare.

But I know too, that these days are numbered. Way too soon, I'll be back in the mode of wanting to be sociable all the time, looking for lunch dates, always chatting on the phone - but that will just be the symptom of the problem. I'll be missing those little people who think that I'm the life of the party.


Comments

Unknown said…
I guess that need for quiet time is a built in thing for everyone.
Anonymous said…
We had some of the same thoughts on this quote! LOL! GROUP POTTY TIME - boy can I relate! But you know, someday we WILL miss this.

Enjoyed reading yours . . .

~~Loni
Darlene Schacht said…
I can totally relate to that post. I remember one afternoon when I was sitting on the potty admiring the handprints on the towel before me when suddenly the door swung open to three kids singing and line dancing to Shania Twain's,

"It's 'bout as bad as it could be
Seems everybody's buggin' me
Like nothing wants to go my way
Yeah, it just ain't been my day
Nothin's comin' easily..."

The words to that song were only too true, but it made for a good blog.
Anonymous said…
Mine are much older now but I remember it well....

These days it seems that the minute I want to use the telephone, I have one or other of the teens asking if they can make a call..... or as soon as I get on the computer, asking if they can use it...or if I sit by the tv, asking if they can change the channel...

The demands may change, but they stil remain!
Vicki said…
Enjoying my visits around CWO blogroll. Nice post--thanks so much for your thoughts. The munchkins grow up fast. Trust me, I'm now a grandmother:-) I miss all the interruptions!

Popular posts from this blog

Little Chic's New Do

I have been bugging Little Chic to cut her waist-length hair for a long time. She did take about 4 inches off it about two months ago, and ever since, has been toying with the idea of something drastic and cool. Today was the day! I love it, but it's a little sad too--seeing how it makes her look all mature and teenager-ish.

Stickin' It Out

I got married today. Well, not exactly today. It was Friday, June 2. But the year was 1989 - 17 years ago. "Amazing", people say. "Good for you", they comment. "You must have picked the right one", the add. Amazing? Yes. Good for me? I'll admit it. But it has nothing to do with picking the right one, really. It's not because I found the perfect boy, and it's certainly not because he found the perfect girl. It might sound a little unromantic, but there never really is a 'right one' floating around out there waiting in the cosmos for the other 'right one' to crash and connect. There may be 'better ones'; there may be 'more easily compatible' or something or other. But the real story is you start becoming the right one the moment you vow that "you do". When I married, I had been 20 for a whole 33 days, we had just completed a 2-year long-distance realtionship and HE was five years older tha

"Huncle" Dave

This guy's my uncle. He's 8 years older than me. With my dad being the oldest of 10 kids, my grandma still had kids at home by the time my dad was getting started with life. This guy was my hero when I was growing up--sort of the big brother role, but with a little more novelty than a constant bully and boss hanging around. He certainly did his share of bossing and bullying, but I took it all in stride since I thought he was an incredibly big deal. Since he was the youngest of 10 kids, but older than all the grandkids, he took full advantage and made the best of his position in life. One aspect of him being more 'mature and world-wise' was that he required treatment of proper respect and authority. Thus, I, and my cousins, were expected to boost his ego by calling him by his rightful name "Huncle". This classy moniker had the unique combination of the relationship (uncle) and his self-proclamation of him being a teenage 'hunk'. Since growing up,