Skip to main content

Hiatus

This is going to be interesting. We are leaving for a 5-day camping trip...my first ever experience tent camping. Hero Guy has been a die-hard backpacker for years, and after getting coerced into one backpack trip, I had my fill of lugging my 35-lbs of housekeeping stuff around like a hermit crab. Thus, the fam has never experienced camping together until last summer, when we borrowed a camper. Surprisingly we all loved it. The kids had a blast, I have to say that I actually enjoyed it since my expectations were low and Hero Guy relented and had to admit that he actually had fun at a campground community rather than being deep in the wilderness.

But I've never done the tenting thing and neither have the kiddos. We'll be gone for five days, and we're talking the real deal....the heart of the Adirondaks. We are at a state campground, so there will be toilets and running water, but we will be repacking the truck every single night with every morsel of food to keep the bears from moving in. The garbage will have to be locked in the facility's secure building by sundown and there is no 'town' to replenish supplies or grab a quick bite to eat at a local establishment.

To make things more interesting, the day we get back I'll be doing a few quick loads of laundry, repacking and we'll be heading out the following morning for North Carolina to attend my mom's wedding.

So my lovelies, I won't be posting for a few days, but I'm sure I'll have plenty of dish to scoop to you when I return. In fact, if I get desperate, I may be able to hijack my dad's computer for a blognote status check so you'll all know I survived.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Oh boy, me thinks the next few blogs will be even more interesting than they normally are. I love camping, in any kind of a camper, but not so much with the tents once I became an adult. At least you won't be flooded out like your last camping experience and your heat wave is done.

Here's hoping you have a marvelous five days, if nothing else you'll make great memories for the kiddos.
Unknown said…
I look forward to the upcoming juicy scoop that you will undoubtedly share.

I have some fond memories camping with the family and all. We had my whole family and my grandparents in one tent camping in the Carolinas. Fun, fun let me tell you, those are some really great memories.

Popular posts from this blog

Little Chic's New Do

I have been bugging Little Chic to cut her waist-length hair for a long time. She did take about 4 inches off it about two months ago, and ever since, has been toying with the idea of something drastic and cool. Today was the day! I love it, but it's a little sad too--seeing how it makes her look all mature and teenager-ish.

Stickin' It Out

I got married today. Well, not exactly today. It was Friday, June 2. But the year was 1989 - 17 years ago. "Amazing", people say. "Good for you", they comment. "You must have picked the right one", the add. Amazing? Yes. Good for me? I'll admit it. But it has nothing to do with picking the right one, really. It's not because I found the perfect boy, and it's certainly not because he found the perfect girl. It might sound a little unromantic, but there never really is a 'right one' floating around out there waiting in the cosmos for the other 'right one' to crash and connect. There may be 'better ones'; there may be 'more easily compatible' or something or other. But the real story is you start becoming the right one the moment you vow that "you do". When I married, I had been 20 for a whole 33 days, we had just completed a 2-year long-distance realtionship and HE was five years older tha

"Huncle" Dave

This guy's my uncle. He's 8 years older than me. With my dad being the oldest of 10 kids, my grandma still had kids at home by the time my dad was getting started with life. This guy was my hero when I was growing up--sort of the big brother role, but with a little more novelty than a constant bully and boss hanging around. He certainly did his share of bossing and bullying, but I took it all in stride since I thought he was an incredibly big deal. Since he was the youngest of 10 kids, but older than all the grandkids, he took full advantage and made the best of his position in life. One aspect of him being more 'mature and world-wise' was that he required treatment of proper respect and authority. Thus, I, and my cousins, were expected to boost his ego by calling him by his rightful name "Huncle". This classy moniker had the unique combination of the relationship (uncle) and his self-proclamation of him being a teenage 'hunk'. Since growing up,