Skip to main content

We're Baaaa-aaack!

In one way, the adventure is over, but in another, it has only begun. The Girl Scout trip to the amusement park was dandy, other than the constant rain making us ride roller coasters looking like we'd just stepped out of the shower without a towel. The trip itself was fairly uneventful with the most effort being dispensed trying to keep five 8-year-old personalities in harmony. From time to time, each of the Scouts played the part of the popular one, the spoiled one, the pouty one, the tired one, the hungry one, the grouchy one....you know how us girls can be. But all in all, everybody had a great time, the amusement park lived up to everything it was supposed to be and I didn't even have to use any of the camping equipment I bilked out of Hero Guy. The campers we stayed in had full electricity, running water and even showers/toilets--so I was more than comfortable. A phone call from Hero Guy revealed that he, Brainy Boy and friend had decided to abort their own camping trip a day early since tent camping in a monsoon isn't nearly as dry as camper camping in the same conditions. It seems that the fishing isn't so great in that weather either, so they packed up and headed home in time to have a real adventure.

My own fun began the morning we left. I spiffed up my camper (we had two), loaded the van and began to pull out, only to find that my right rear van wheel was totally frozen. A helpless call to Hero Guy revealed that our hometown was experiencing massive flooding because of heavy rain on the east coast and he was inaccessible to an 'SOS' call from me. 45 minutes, lots of frustration and a few helpful maintenance guys from the campgrounds later, I finally rocked and rolled my frozen brake loose. Apparently the rainwater from the drive up, combined with 2 days of sitting still, caused my emergency brake to seize and freeze the tire.

We spent the morning back at the amusement park with frantic calls from home revealing that we needed to head home in order to get into town before all the roads leading in were closed due to flooding. We hit the road, stopping for a quick bite to eat, all the while getting new updates about which routes were open and which were closed. Luckily, Hero Guy is on a first-name basis with the dispatch crew from 911, so he navigated us through the back roads with real-time info on a clear path to home.

We got home to find Brainy Boy with a babysitter for the last 10 hours, bright sunny conditions, but with flooded roads everywhere. The bank, the grocery store and even the gas station parking lots were under water and pretty much all businesses had been closed for the day. Brainy Boy was in high spirits because of the unlimited XBOX time with no parental supervision, Hero Guy was shouting with adrenaline every time he called home to report and I, on my own, began unpacking and doing laundry while catching up on as much news as Brainy Boy could impart.

Ironically, the week could have been a bust, but it seemed more of a thrill the way it turned out, disasters and all. I am happy to be home, calmly taking care of my own 2 kids instead of supervising 4 of somebody else's and am thankful that my own little cabin on the hill is dry and safe.

Comments

Anonymous said…
It's so weird but when Hurricanes hit here you are so annoyed and they are such a pain and you feel horrible for everyone it affects in a bad way but in a weird way you are having fun and it is exciting too, well as long as you have electricity or you are staying with someone who does it's kind of fun. So I know exactly what you mean. Stay high and dry!
Anonymous said…
Great pic of you and Caroline! She is SO pretty!!!
I felt horrible knowing that I was here in my safe home and just behind us homes were flooded! We called to help where we could. The boys were scared that we had some water in our basement (a drizzle) and I let them know just how lucky we were!
Seeing the devastation today, furniture and appliances out for garbage was insane! Thankfully we have a small community and everyone helps everyone out! AND boy is the West Corners Fire Co. AWESOME during an emergency!
~Sue

Popular posts from this blog

Little Chic's New Do

I have been bugging Little Chic to cut her waist-length hair for a long time. She did take about 4 inches off it about two months ago, and ever since, has been toying with the idea of something drastic and cool. Today was the day! I love it, but it's a little sad too--seeing how it makes her look all mature and teenager-ish.

Stickin' It Out

I got married today. Well, not exactly today. It was Friday, June 2. But the year was 1989 - 17 years ago. "Amazing", people say. "Good for you", they comment. "You must have picked the right one", the add. Amazing? Yes. Good for me? I'll admit it. But it has nothing to do with picking the right one, really. It's not because I found the perfect boy, and it's certainly not because he found the perfect girl. It might sound a little unromantic, but there never really is a 'right one' floating around out there waiting in the cosmos for the other 'right one' to crash and connect. There may be 'better ones'; there may be 'more easily compatible' or something or other. But the real story is you start becoming the right one the moment you vow that "you do". When I married, I had been 20 for a whole 33 days, we had just completed a 2-year long-distance realtionship and HE was five years older tha

"Huncle" Dave

This guy's my uncle. He's 8 years older than me. With my dad being the oldest of 10 kids, my grandma still had kids at home by the time my dad was getting started with life. This guy was my hero when I was growing up--sort of the big brother role, but with a little more novelty than a constant bully and boss hanging around. He certainly did his share of bossing and bullying, but I took it all in stride since I thought he was an incredibly big deal. Since he was the youngest of 10 kids, but older than all the grandkids, he took full advantage and made the best of his position in life. One aspect of him being more 'mature and world-wise' was that he required treatment of proper respect and authority. Thus, I, and my cousins, were expected to boost his ego by calling him by his rightful name "Huncle". This classy moniker had the unique combination of the relationship (uncle) and his self-proclamation of him being a teenage 'hunk'. Since growing up,