Skip to main content

The Joy of Life in Small Town America

When people hear "New York", they think, City. That's not even close to the true picture of life in most of the state. I've outlined below some of the more accurate descriptions of living a place that isn't even considered a suburb. It's downright, truth-be-told, pretty much the boonies. If you've never experienced living in a small town, here's a bit of what it's like...

1a) We have festivals, parades and celebrations for every reason imaginable. This past weekend, it was the Strawberry Festival.
1b) There are 2 grocery stores in town and one of them is totally inaccessible from 8am to 5pm because the streets are blocked off for the current festival.

2a) You can eat top-notch surf & turf (lobster tail/filet mignon) along with the side dishes, for $19.99 on Saturday night.
2b) You need to bring your cash because they don't accept credit cards (although they do have an ATM in the lobby).

3a) If you leave your purse & wallet in your unlocked van out in the driveway, everything will still be there in the morning.
3b) If you lock your keys in the house or car, it'll be faster to call the locksmith from your cell phone than to hike to your neighbor's for help. Oh, wait...we're in the country here. There is no cell phone service until you get into town, so forget that. Hopefully you wore your hiking shoes.

4a) Your neighbor never lets their dog poop on your lawn when he takes it for a walk, because we don't have to walk our dogs--they go outside on their own.
4b) You might step in poop on your lawn but it's probably not dog poop. It's most likely deer droppings, raccoon scat or woodchuck (groundhog) waste. If you're lucky enough, it might even be bear dung.

5a) You don't have to wait for very many traffic lights.
5b) You do have to wait for deer crossing the road, sometimes ducks or chickens, and occasionally even cows insisting on the right of way.

6a) There is exactly ONE Starbucks within four or five counties and it is approximately 10 miles from my house.
6b) The local Dunkin Donuts guy knows just how his customers like their coffee.

7a) If your car doesn't move in your driveway for a day or two, at least one neighbor will call and say they were passing by your house and just wanted to make sure everything is okay.
7b) If you get busy and don't mow your lawn for a week, the same neighbor might show up and do it for you just to be nice.

8a) When you run to the drug store, you'd better make sure you look decent. You will never make a trip without running into at least one person you know.
8b) The same goes for the grocery store, the doctor's office, the post office, the library, the nail salon, the hair sylist, etc.

9a) Small towns are primo for finding volunteer opportunities. You can volunteer to be a firefighter, an EMT, a water rescue diver, a HAZMAT technician, a SWAT team medic, an animal rehabilitator or pretty much anything else that suits your fancy. You'll also get all the required training that goes along with the job, for free.
9b) You'll have every friend of a friend asking you to check their blood pressure, come smell their furnace for dangerous fumes or take a peek at their pet, also for free.

10a) You can look out in the back yard and see two dozen deer eating the wild apples growing from the trees or the same number of wild turkeys pecking your field for corn in the fall.
10b) You can also clearly whiff the fertilizer (i.e., cow doo-doo) on the neighbor's corn field just down the road from your house and hear their rooster crowing at the crack of dawn even on the weekends.

Small towns offer a totally different environment from the ruckus and noise of the city. I've always been a city girl myself, loving the hustle & bustle, the constant activity that goes along with the buildings and street lights. But the longer I live in a rural area, I appreciate the serenity and security it offers my family. There's nothing like having a peaceful, safe feeling when I fall asleep at night, knowing my kids are being raised in the environment that's best for them.

Comments

Unknown said…
Now that's what I call paradise!
Anonymous said…
Starbucks, ten miles??? I'd have to move (just joking). Seriously, I'll never complain about our Starbucks again which is about six miles from my house. Sounds like you live in a wonderful place.
tim said…
kinkade couldn't have painted it better.. hey, its been awhile. give john a hug for me. we live in central pa., so know somthing of the setting you've described. (actually in hobe sound this week) so good to stumble across you guys while doing a search for another olsen..
you have a beautiful family!

keep in touch,
tim, pam, laura, and elizabeth
Anonymous said…
Great post! We don't have Starbucks here either so I don't get the fascination!
utenzi said…
That does indeed sound quite rural, Jen. I grew up in the Adirondacks so I know how rural parts of NY state can be. I went to school over in the Western tier so I know the area by PA and above NJ is quiet also. Lots of empty territory in NY and yet so many people down by the Big Apple.
Anonymous said…
First me, then later we, always enjoyed coming to your house some weekends while living near New York City when we lived up there - very accurate description I must say!
Moonshadow said…
Oh, yeah, harvest festivals. We had the onion festival growing up near Elba (route 98 north of Batavia). Onions are not as nice as strawberries.

Recently I was returning to my home in NJ after a visit to Rochester. I started to head south along R81 but forgot to fill up the gas tank before leaving that East-West "civilization" along the Thruway! I got to a station in Marathon just in time! Whew. Because, as you say, the cell phone just don't work in those parts of the state!

Popular posts from this blog

Little Chic's New Do

I have been bugging Little Chic to cut her waist-length hair for a long time. She did take about 4 inches off it about two months ago, and ever since, has been toying with the idea of something drastic and cool. Today was the day! I love it, but it's a little sad too--seeing how it makes her look all mature and teenager-ish.

"Huncle" Dave

This guy's my uncle. He's 8 years older than me. With my dad being the oldest of 10 kids, my grandma still had kids at home by the time my dad was getting started with life. This guy was my hero when I was growing up--sort of the big brother role, but with a little more novelty than a constant bully and boss hanging around. He certainly did his share of bossing and bullying, but I took it all in stride since I thought he was an incredibly big deal. Since he was the youngest of 10 kids, but older than all the grandkids, he took full advantage and made the best of his position in life. One aspect of him being more 'mature and world-wise' was that he required treatment of proper respect and authority. Thus, I, and my cousins, were expected to boost his ego by calling him by his rightful name "Huncle". This classy moniker had the unique combination of the relationship (uncle) and his self-proclamation of him being a teenage 'hunk'. Since growing up,

Stickin' It Out

I got married today. Well, not exactly today. It was Friday, June 2. But the year was 1989 - 17 years ago. "Amazing", people say. "Good for you", they comment. "You must have picked the right one", the add. Amazing? Yes. Good for me? I'll admit it. But it has nothing to do with picking the right one, really. It's not because I found the perfect boy, and it's certainly not because he found the perfect girl. It might sound a little unromantic, but there never really is a 'right one' floating around out there waiting in the cosmos for the other 'right one' to crash and connect. There may be 'better ones'; there may be 'more easily compatible' or something or other. But the real story is you start becoming the right one the moment you vow that "you do". When I married, I had been 20 for a whole 33 days, we had just completed a 2-year long-distance realtionship and HE was five years older tha